11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2008 10:08 AM by ruzun

What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD

ruzun Level 1
      If I have a project that has some HDV format 1440x1080 source material, and some AVCHD format 1920x1080 source material, what project setting should I use?

Does the project setting refer to the intended output format more than the input format, or does it really matter at all?

I'm talking about the initial project settings, choices like NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30 vs HDV 1080i 30

Does it make any difference if some of the input material is square pixel 1920x1080 and some of it is anamorphic pixel HDV 1440x1080? Would it be better if all input material used the same resolution and pixel aspect ratios?

-Roger Uzun
        • 1. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
          Paul_LS Level 4
          I would go with the preset that matches the majority of your footage. No major issues which way you go... but bear in mind that HDV footage (1440x1080) is handled natively by PE7 so if you put it on the timeline of a HDV project there is no red line above it (ie the input footage matches the project setting)... if you place it on the timeline of a 1920x1080 project it will have a red line and may need rendering before playing back smoothly. Whatever project presets you have everything will need rendering for export anyway as PE7 does not have smart-rendering for HDV or AVCHD.
          • 2. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
            ruzun Level 1
            I found a clip from a Sony SR11 on the web, and I'm not so sure AVCHD is practical to edit from what I have here. It seems to be much slower than HDV. I may have to take all the 1920x1080 AVCHD files I want to use, convert them first to Mpeg-2 files that are 1440x1080, then edit them. I'm not sure it's practical to edit 1920x1080 AVCHD files in PE7, and I have a quad core CPU.
            • 3. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
              Paul_LS Level 4
              If you convert to HDV you may want to look at this:
              http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html
              • 4. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                ruzun Level 1
                Thanks for the link to AVCHD Upshift. Certainly way more convenient and way faster than doing file by file conversions inside PE7. Have you used AVCHD Upshift much? Does it seem to do a high quality conversion, compared to rendering it to an MPEG-2 file from within PRE 7?
                • 5. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                  ruzun Level 1
                  Well I've been playing around with AVCHD Upshift. It does not give good results for me when I use the low speed/high quality preset they have. The only way I can get decent conversions is to use the Variable bitrate control setting, and this sends the file size and bitrate through the roof. I'm not sure this software is very good now that I've played with it some. Just doing a conversion in PRE7 results in a decent quality MPEG-2 file that's not gigantic.

The way I get a decent conversion is to set bitrate to 50mbps, bitrate control to variable, Keyframe to 10 and GOP size to 1, and interlace to Copy from input.

Its a fast convenient program but I was seeing a LOT of motion artifacts with their default high quality preset, which disturbed me. Using variable bitrate fixes the quality problem, but the file sizes get too big to be practical.
                  • 6. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    Never tried it Roger... I hear they have just released a new version, 1.h that has resolved a lot of issues. My thoughts are that if I need to convert to another format for editing that I should convert to a non-lossy AVI format so that it can be rendered/exported/imported and generally played around with without quality loss. I use either MJPEG or Cineform.
                    • 7. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                      ruzun Level 1
                      I have 1.h but it yields poor quality video in all but Variable bitrate mode. The problem with Variable bitrate is that it makes the files huge and the bitrate goes to 120mbps. It's a decent quality transcode but the files get massive, from 16mpbs to 120...

Using Premiere elements 7 to transcode clip by clip I get good results using CBR output at about 30mbps. With AVCHD it's far more convenient and far faster, but even at 50 or 60 mbps, the results are bad.

I'll try the motion picture browser conversion routines, thats the software that came with the camcorder. Worse case I can use premiere elements 7 but that's tedious.

Maybe when I get my own avchd camcorder it won't be so bad to edit in AVCHD, but right now the clips I get from supposedly the same camcorder off the net are SLOW as heck in PRE 7, making the 1920x1080 16mbps AVCHD files from the Sony SR11/12 camcorders basically unuseable in Premiere Elements until they are converted to MPEG-2

And this is on a fast quad core Intel CPU PC with 4GB of RAM.

-Roger Uzun
                      • 8. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                        ruzun Level 1
                        Well I'm getting a new CPU/MB/Memory anyways. I wanted to try a new core i7 and this gives me an excuse. I think I will go to Vista 64 bit as well, although that might prove too much trouble in the long run, I will test it a while so if I have to reinstall I will expect it.

At any rate, it's consistent. When I first start a project at any setting, rendering of 1920 AVCHD is very slow and only seems to use 2 cores. If I bring up the task manager, then minimize it after I load the project, it uses all 4 cores and 1920 AVCHD renders fine using about 75-85% CPU. I have one of the first Quad Core core2 CPU's so it's probably slower than the one you have Paul.

Anyways wish me luck on the PC upgrade and Vista 64..
                        • 9. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                          Paul_LS Level 4
                          My Quad Core is an old one as well the Q6600 if I recall running at 2.4GHz.
                          Regarding Vista 64... note PE7 is not supported under Vista 64-bit. Some folks run it in compatability mode but it is not offically supported.
                          • 10. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                            Ozpeter Level 1
                            Google for the Elecard AVCHD converter - I think they do a trial version.
                            • 11. Re: What project setting to use for mix of HDV and 1920 AVCHD
                              ruzun Level 1
                              I will try out Vista 64. I used it when Vista first came out with version 3.02 and it didn't work well. But I think it probably is OK now, there's been a service pack and it sounds like Adobe has run it under 64 and expects it to run fine, they are just hedging there bets. It's not a 64 bit app, so it runs in 32 bit mode, but even in that mode it will have more physical memory to address without swapping than it would under Vista 32 when you have more than 2GB of physical RAM.

If it doesn't work I will go back to Vista 32 or maybe even XP, I won't install much until I've had a week or so with Vista 64 and PE7, knowing I may have to reinstall the OS.