4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 9:21 AM by Newsgroup_User

web page program for idiots? -- please help

reach2036
      I'm looking for a web page dev. program for Mac that a beginner can use. I can't afford to hire and need to do it myself. The iweb for Mac is "for the consumer only", as they told me, and the formatting is sloppy. It also can't have a shopping cart. Is there such a program that I can work (drag and drop)? I'm not interested in the web sites that you can subscribe to.
      I started a little business and want a web page for people to buy my products. I need to have a shopping cart, but could probably use pay pal for the credit card stuff. Am I dreaming? Thanks for any suggestions.
        • 1. Re: web page program for idiots? -- please help
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          Dreamweaver is a great product but it does assume you have some HTML and CSS knowledge under your belt. Unfortunately, on the Mac side there is not a whole lot of offering with web development applications. And I do agree that iWeb is for the consumer and designed to work with MobileMe.

I don't know of any products off the top of my head but I would normally look through http://www.apple.com/downloads and look through there. I did a quick search of the Apple site (top right search link and then click downloads to only search downloads) and searched for "website design" and it came up with a bunch of results. You could also post this over on the Apple forums there. There are a lot of active members who might know some niche programs that might fit your need.

If you do decide to go with DW or any program for that matter, you can look into buying pre-designed templates and then just edit those templates for your content. There are a good number of them that are not too costly and could be a middle ground for you.

Paypal is another story and is really independent of the editor so I won't get into that right now.
          • 2. Re: web page program for idiots? -- please help
            Level 7
            reach2036 wrote:
            > I'm looking for a web page dev. program for Mac that a beginner can use. I
            > can't afford to hire and need to do it myself.

> I started a little business and want a web page for people to buy my products.
            > I need to have a shopping cart, but could probably use pay pal for the credit
            > card stuff. Am I dreaming?

The answer is probably yes. Not having the money to hire someone when
            you have just started up in business is a common problem, and not one
            that is easy to solve. However, you need to ask yourself which you're
            better at: making the products that you want to sell, or designing
            ecommerce websites.

Buying Dreamweaver will cost money. So will buying an ecommerce
            extension. Then there's all the time that you will need to spend
            learning how to use them - time that you could spend making products to
            sell.

On the other hand, if you're a fast learner, you could add website
            development to the services you offer. But there isn't really a web page
            program for idiots. There are just plenty of idiots who think web site
            development is easy, and don't realize that there's a considerable
            amount of skill involved.

--
            David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
            Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
            Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
            http://foundationphp.com/
            • 3. Re: web page program for idiots? -- please help
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              I use DW at work (no ecommerce) where we all use CSS within the framework of the company site

For personal use, I wrote a simple online store for my wife, using just a text editor and PayPal, which you may see at http://www.direct2usales.com

If you can take example code from PayPal and insert your site and product information into that code, and put it all into a general store format you like, you should be OK

DW will help you with layout and viewing on your computer... but you still have to make the decisions and edit the PayPal examples to set up for your site identity and product information

It's been awhile since I last looked at PayPal's help and example pages, so you might want to go there and see what they have for sample code... they may have some full stores you can modify, if you find something on their site you like
              • 4. Re: web page program for idiots? -- please help
                Level 7
                >There are just plenty of idiots who think web site development is easy, and
                >don't realize that there's a considerable amount of skill involved.

Succinct as always. I love it!

--

Walt

"David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
                news:g8u7t7$o0u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > reach2036 wrote:
                >> I'm looking for a web page dev. program for Mac that a beginner can use.
                >> I can't afford to hire and need to do it myself.
                >
                >> I started a little business and want a web page for people to buy my
                >> products. I need to have a shopping cart, but could probably use pay pal
                >> for the credit card stuff. Am I dreaming?
                >
                > The answer is probably yes. Not having the money to hire someone when you
                > have just started up in business is a common problem, and not one that is
                > easy to solve. However, you need to ask yourself which you're better at:
                > making the products that you want to sell, or designing ecommerce
                > websites.
                >
                > Buying Dreamweaver will cost money. So will buying an ecommerce extension.
                > Then there's all the time that you will need to spend learning how to use
                > them - time that you could spend making products to sell.
                >
                > On the other hand, if you're a fast learner, you could add website
                > development to the services you offer. But there isn't really a web page
                > program for idiots. There are just plenty of idiots who think web site
                > development is easy, and don't realize that there's a considerable amount
                > of skill involved.
                >
                > --
                > David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                > Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                > Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                > http://foundationphp.com/