12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 4:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 7.0 crash/freeze

I just installed Adobe Premiere Elements 7. It crashes and freezes everytime I apply a Instant Movie Theme. When I apply the Instant Movie it starts processing the file (process bar shows up). It always gets to about 95% and then just sits there. When I click on something it crashes my whole system. I have to reboot.

I have a Q9550(quad core) with a P45-ud3r motherboard, nvidia 8800gts 640.
      All drivers are up to date. I have reinstalled ABE 7 twice.

I ran the same test with my other system and it works. That rig is a E6750 (dual core) with the P45-ud3r motherboard with a nvidia 260 video card.

Does anybody know what's going on? This is a amazing that it crashes like this. I found this bug with in 1 minute of trying this product out. This product is totally unusable to me in it's current state.
        • 1. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
          Level 1
          BTW, both systems I have are XP 32bit.
          • 2. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
            Level 1
            and I forgot to say both systems have 4gig each.
            • 3. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support?
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56

Strange issues like this lack a clear, obvious cause and usually require some troubleshooting to get to the core of the problem.
              • 4. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                Level 1
                I finally found out what the problem is. Unfortunately, APE 7.0 is just really buggy. I just happened to do something a little different by extending the time frame of one of the scenes (a picture) to display around 6 minutes instead of 5 secs (default). When I applied the instant movie that was enough to crash the program. Leave it to me to find a bug in the first 60 seconds of using this product.

I hope Adobe reads this and fixes it. I am sure that they have a huge list of fixes already.
                • 5. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  I can almost guarantee you that Adobe won't fix it based on this thread. Programmers want specifics of how to exactly reproduce the problem. Otherwise forget it. And there is an official form to fill out for bugs.

The bug report link is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/premiereelements/
                  • 6. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                    Level 1
                    you said
                    "ran the same test with my other system and it works."

So doesnt that indicate that there is something going wrong with the system in question ?

I get a feeling that this has something to do with the DVD MENU/TEMPLATES that are applied as part of InstantMovie. Could you please try and deselect the "MENUS" from the "ThemeContent" option available in the Customisation panel.(The system in question, probably, may be having some conflicting font issues.)
                    • 7. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                      I had the same trouble with my machine. I have a Intel Q6600 Quad core 2.4GHZ on a 680 Striker extreme motherboard with a NVidia 8800 GTS 640, 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM and two raptor drives in RAID 0 configuration. My machine used to get to about 12% when it processed the instant movie theme. (The file was only about 200MB. I upgraded my graphics cards to two nvidia GTX280 in SLI configuration. Now at least it processes the file 100%, but when I write to DVD in normal non-HD format it crashes. I am editing AVCHD files from my Sony camera, so i pressume this is stressing system resources. I am really dissapointed with the Adobe software. It seems that the minimum system requirements on the box is not close to the actual systems requirements for editing HD movies. When I playback my HD movies on premiere elements 7 the playback is still not smooth on my PC and this with two of the best graphics cards that you can get. My next step will probably have to upgrade my motherboard and CPU or I must just look for better software.
                      • 8. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                        Level 1
                        It turns out that it is just a bug in APE 7. Unfortunately, a bug that I found in the first minute of using this application. I am really disappointed on how buggy this app is. I have found many more. I would hope that they stop adding features and start making the product more robust.
                        • 9. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                          Level 1
                          I hope they are hearing you :)

But how many do you think would buy the latest version, if they say that they have NOT added any new features and they have made the product 'Robust'

I would definately not buy it. For using memory intensive features (like Instant Movie, HD workflows or Burning), we definately need to look at the state of our Hard Drive and Memory resourses.

I think that the min system requirement that shows up in the box, (for any product) would be just 'minimum'. The product would launch and work on this configuration. But you cant expect it to perform stressful task with the same configuration. That would be not fair.

With this, i dont mean that they should not look at improving the perfomance of the application and address the user issues. But it would also be not appropriate to blacklist the product if one feature of it is not working fine in a particular scenario for a particular system condition.

However,
                          As i asked earlier quoting you

you said
                          "ran the same test with my other system and it works."

Could you try and deselect the "MENUS" from the "ThemeContent" option available in the Customisation panel.(The system in question, probably, may be having some conflicting font issues.)

I have seen this cropping up on my laptop, I had removed some fonts from the laptop accidentaly.
                          • 10. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                            As we often point out, guys, this is a user-to-user forum. There are no Adobe people here -- just volunteers, like me, who spend dozens of hours of week helping people get up and running. (Usually with a pretty good success rate, too! ;) )

If you want to contact Adobe and let them know you don't like the product or that you think the product needs improvement, you should click the Contact button at the top of this page.
                            • 11. Re: Elements 7.0 crash/freeze
                              Level 1
                              I agree, the success rate is good. You guys are Pro and it shows up in Muvipix.com.