17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 2:49 AM by (editmachine)

Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)

My audio consistently has blank sections in it. I imported one mp3 and it worked fine, but wav's are having problems.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/1colin/3114407139/sizes/o/

(does html work in these forums?...
      )

I have tried 2 methods of importing audio:
      1. drag & drop wav files from desktop into Premiere
      2. File>Get Media From> etc..
      Bpth have the same problem.
        • 1. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Where does this audio come from?

From your camcorder? What type of camcorder and how did you get it into your computer?

Was it purchased from a site like iTunes?
          • 2. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
            Level 1
            They are short sound effects I got off the web.
            • 4. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
              Level 1
              No, that will not work. As you can see in the top waveform there is sound that should be there, but PRE is, for some reason, nulling it out (as opposed to adding in blank space, thus increasing the length of the sample).
              If I cut the blank sections out it sounds edited and disjointed.
              • 5. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                That's weird, I've never had any problems with WAV files in Premiere Elements. What if you open it in a audio editor and then export a new WAV or MP3 file from there?
                • 6. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                  Level 1
                  It is strange and it happens quite consistently with a variety of different wav's. I can't say 100% of the time because I haven't formally tested it.
                  • 7. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                    So what happens if you export a new file from your editor?
                    Have you tried looking at the file in Audacity?
                    Does it do the same thing with MP3 files? How about if you convert from WAV to MP3 do you still have the same problem with this file?
                    • 8. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                      Level 1
                      No offense, but did you read my post at all?

"Have you tried looking at the file in Audacity?"
                      Well, look at the top of the picture... that is a 'real' sound editor (its actually better than Audacity). The sound looks fine in the Real editor and plays fine in it as well as iTunes and Windows Media Player, whereas in PRE it has an audible silent section.

"Does it do the same thing with MP3 files?"
                      As I said in my original post "I imported one mp3 and it worked fine, but wav's are having problems."

I have not bothered with a wav->mp3 conversion. It should not be necessary.
                      • 9. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Colin,

MP3's can be problematic. Sometimes, they work fine, and some give all sorts of problems. Looking at the ones that work, vs the ones that do not, does not yield any differences, that I can find - it's like a "ghost in the machine." Because of this anomaly, I convert to WAV all but tiny SFX files, which is what it sounds like you are using.

Now, the problems that I see most often (mostly on others' systems) are truncated Audio files, not the gap that you show. That is something new to me, also.

I do all of my Audio editing in Adobe Audition, and, as stated above, always Save_As PCM/WAV (except for those tiny SFX MP3 files). I have never encountered your problem and am stumped, as to the cause.

Can you give a few more details on your MP3's (sample rate, etc.), and the exact steps that you are performing on these files? Maybe there is a clue in your exact workflow.

Wish I had some ideas on the cause. If you can supply the details, maybe I can duplicate the problem and learn more about it.

I'd be glad to do tests on the same files, if they are available on the Internet, and will try to duplicate your steps exactly with the programs that I use. Also, I have many SFX libraries, and might even have the exact file that is giving you problems.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 10. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                          Level 1
                          Actually, the one mp3 I used worked just fine, it's the small wav files that this is happening to.

Workflow:
                          I have tried 2 methods of importing audio:
                          1. drag & drop wav files from desktop into Premiere
                          2. File>Get Media From> etc..
                          Both have the same problem.

Many of the waves that exhibited this problem are on this page:
                          http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Cartoons/Cartoons.htm

However the one that I took the screenshot of is not on that page but, as I said, many of the wav's at the link above had the exact same problem.
                          • 11. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                            I have "1001 sound effects" that I got from Sony that are all wav. I added many to PRE 7 and took a look at the waveforms viewing two seconds at a time and comparing to Magix Music Editor. They were all okay.

Maybe there is something wrong with a codec, possibly one that comes from one of those codec packs. Possible Quicktime is involved. Try reinstalling that.
                            • 12. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                              Colin, I did read your post and I do see that you use a 'REAL' audio editor. I also see that the 'REAL' editor shows the file without a split.

My point with Audacity was to see how it opens in another editor.
                              My point about exporting the file from your 'REAL' editor to a new WAV or MP3 file was also just for a test and possible work around, not a solution.

There could actually be a problem with the file and your 'REAL' editor is making adjustments for it automatically, or has access to a codec that Premiere Elements does not have access to.

I recommend downloading the Codec Tool G-Spot and checking the file and priorities. Or you could just export a copy and see if that works ;)
                              • 13. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                If I were doing a conversion/Export of Audio, I would definitely choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit over MP3. There are two reasons:
                                1. The WAV (above specs.) is what PE will ultimately create for use
                                2. MP3's seem to have some problems, though not always

For the freeware G-Spot, go to www.headbands.com/gspot to download and install. It handles most AV files (both Audio & Video) and will reveal a wealth of info about the files, the CODECs used, and whether one's system has the proper ones installed correctly. It will also tell you if the file is truncated in any way. I could not live without this little free utility.

I am also firmly in Chuck's corner, on testing the offending file in any other program, just to see if there is a problem. I do not know/use Real Audio, so do not know how it might be handling the file. I do see "dead spots" all of the time in Audio from DivX and Xvid muxed files. I do not know if this is a problem inherent with the DivX (or Xvid) CODEC on encoding, or on decoding, but this is similar to the problems that I observe. However, those have been most often at the beginning and end of an Audio file (from a muxed AV file), and not in the middle. Still, a drop-out might occur anyplace in the file and I just observe them at the head, or tail.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                • 14. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                                  Level 1
                                  The problem is in wav's NOT in mp3's.

There's a misunderstanding:
                                  The 'Real' audio editor I use is not Real Audio... I meant its a true audio editor meant for audio. Its a Pro audio editor... for making and editing music. I am 100% confident that it accurately displays the wav files.

The blank section is very audible when played in PRE.
                                  I do not hear the blank section whrn played in my pro audio software, nor in iTunes, nor in WMP.
                                  • 15. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Colin,

Sorry if I confused you. My reference to the WAV vs MP3 was in case one were to apply the test, that Chuck suggested.

As for your problem, I have not seen similar. I use Adobe Audition 2 & 3 for my audio editing, and have never had anything similar.

I might have missed it, but what is the source of this WAV file? Also, if you can upload it (or e-mail it to me - contact info in my profile), I'd be glad to look at it in all of my programs. The only version of Elements that I have is PE4, but I can Import it there, plus Premiere Pro and several other NLE's to see if I can duplicate your problem.

Right now, I'm stumped - sorry,

Hunt

[Edit] One thing that I did notice (not sure why it took me so long) is that after the missing Audio, there appears to be a Fade-in on the second piece. What editing were you doing to the Audio Clip? What Effects were used? Just guessing here...
                                    • 16. Re: Blank sections in Audio (screenshot incl) (v7.0)
                                      Level 1
                                      I tried importing the WAV files from the site mentioned and it worked fine for me (No Audio Breaks).

Have you tried renaming the Audio clips to a different name and then importing it, may be something is amiss here.