21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 2:04 PM by the_wine_snob

How to Highlight the Action In my video

I am making a sports highlight video and need to know how to Highlight and individual during or before the action. i need my viewers to know who is getting the ball. What would be the best way to do this and if anyone knows the term for what it is I am trying to do. (which is singleing out a certin section of a video to be more visable than the background.
        • 1. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Have a look at this article from the Tips and Tricks at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d47e/4
          • 2. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
            Freeze the first frame for a second. Highlight the player using an oval with about 30% opacity on the frozen frame.
            • 3. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
              VideoJohnny Level 1
              Depending on the version of PRE you have, starting with PRE4 I think, there is a lightting effect. This effect can be used to highlight parts of your video.
              • 4. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                JohnnyO,

The Lighting Effect might work well, and it would be a lot easier to use, than a Track Matte Keying. I'll have to take a look at it, especially to see if it can be Keyframed.

Hunt

[Edit] If it wasn't linked above, here is an article that I did on using the Track Matte Keying Effect to "highlight."
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d47e/4
                • 5. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  JohnnyO,

Looked in PE4, and did not find Lighting Effect (only Lightening, which is not what we're talking about). I have it, or similar in P-Pro2. Is this maybe a New Blue, or similar, that you added? Search in Effects came up totally blank and nothing struck me as being the same, with a visual search.

Thanks,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                    Yes, there really is a Lighting effect.
                    • 7. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                      VideoJohnny Level 1
                      The Lighting Effect is under the Adjust category of effects. The name is "Lighting Effects"
                      • 8. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Robert & JohnnyO,

Thanks for that. Where is it located in PE4 Effects? Even a Seach of Effects did not show it in my installation. While I cannot swear that I have all of the Functional Content, all other items seem to be there an working fine.

Appreciated,

Hunt

[Edit] Well DUH! I just found it. I can see how I might have missed it earlier, but why Seach didn't show it up is odd.

So, we have a "never mind" situation. Will explore it's use for "highlighting" a moving object.

I do see Keyframing on the aspects of the Effect, but not for the position. There is also no Transparent Video in PE, like in Pro. That could allow Positon Keyframing, possibly.
                        • 9. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          Here is a thread over on Muvixpix about keyframming the lighting effect in version 4.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4064&start=0&hilit=lighting
                          • 10. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Robert,

Thank you for that link. I'll experiment with the Effect, now that I have found it.

Much appreciated,

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                              VideoJohnny Level 1
                              Bill - I'm glad you found it. Have fun with it.
                              • 12. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                JohnnyO,

I must need new glasses. It was right in front of me, and with Robert's article link, I'll definitely play.

Thanks,

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                  Susan Verner Level 1
                                  David--

Could you explain how to freeze frame and to use the highlighting oval? I tried to use the procedure laid out in the link cited by Steve but it was very cumbersome.

Thanks so much.
                                  • 14. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                    New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                                    Robert posted a link from muvipix that might provide a little better instruction
                                    http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=35190#p35190
                                    • 15. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Susan,

Chuck's link will probably give you all that you need, plus more that you can use in the future.

For a Q&D (Quick and Dirty) way to do this is to Razor on the frame that you wish to "highlight." Then do a frame capture of the last frame as a still. I'd tell you exactly how to do that, but I use PE and do not think that PE does it exactly the same way. Once you have the still, Import it (you can usually choose to have the still frame added to the Project) and place it between where you made your Razor cut. Extend it for the Duration required. Highlight on that still image. Since you used the last frame of the Clip to the left of your Razor cut, and butted it up to the frame on the right, it will just "pause" and no Transitions are required.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                      • 16. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                        junoflydog
                                        I shoot and edit video of my son's football games for the coach and players. I normally have about 120 scenes (plays) per DVD. Of these I will often highlight 2 - 5 plays where I want the focus on a specific player not in the center of the action. I had one play where our guy flipped an opponent 270 degrees mid-air.

The method I use is to highlight the player with a yellow circle. I went into Photoshop Elements and made a yellow circle with a transparent center and background. I saved that as a Photoshop file or you could save as a .png or other file type that allows transparency. On my video, I place the circle on a track above my football track. I then Zoom and Position the circle around the object of interest. I normally fade in (opacity) over 8 frames, leave on for 1 second, then fade out over 8 seconds. It makes for a professional effect that you can keyframe and move with the action.

With this method, you can place multiple circles on your film. Sometimes I will circle two players before the snap then you will see both players in motion which caused a penalty. No freeze frame is needed so the action does not seem to stop as a freeze frame would do.

Once you have the 'circle' file, it is very quick to add it to a scene often taking only a minute or two.

junoflydog@aol.com

Off Topic ->

BTW, I make each football play its' own scene so the coach or player can replay that one play by jumping to "Previous Scene" on their DVD player. After I split and trim all of the plays in the timeline, I go to Premiere Element's main menu and select -> 'Generate Menu Markers' and choose option -> 'At Each Scene' (help link below). Premiere will ONLY auto generate 99 scenes. The other 20 or so plays I manually add a DVD scene marker at the play.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/4.0/help.html?content=WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b62 2510385d4355c-7e14.html

Off Topic 2 ->

If you have more than 99 scenes on a disc and you want to have two main menu play options (i.e. game plays and homecoming video), put the second video at the front of the timeline with its' start and stop markers. I found out that after 99 scenes on the timeline, the DVD creater will not recognize menu markers. If you place your 'second' video before the 'main' video with the 120 scenes, everything works.
                                        • 17. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                          Susan Verner Level 1
                                          Thanks so much. This sounds like what I need. But I tried to create a circle file in Adobe Photoshop and was not successful. Can you tell me how to create circle file?

Thanks for your help!
                                          • 18. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Susan,

The "circle" is a Shape in Photoshop. I set up a New Image using the preset for NTSC 720x480 4:3 (PAR = 0.9) and the
                                            i Background
                                            as Transparent. In the Toolbox, choose the Elipse Tool. I use Shift+Alt to constrain to a "circle," and also to draw from the center. Make it as large, as you need, by Click-dragging it. It will appear as a Path. In the Path's Palette, click the little arrowhead in the upper right, and choose Save Path. I call it "Circle." Set your Pencil Tool to about 3 pixels and choose the color you want. In that same fly-out, choose Stroke Path and OK on Pencil Tool. If Brush, or other, comes up, use the drop-down to choose the Pencil Tool.

Save_As "Circle.psd." Import this into PE and use as Junoflydog suggests.

Hunt
                                            • 19. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              @Junoflydog,

I did a tutorial on using the Track Matte Keying to "highlight" a football player in my example.

Steve Grissetti asked me to include a video example to show the process in work, but I did not have any football footage, similar to what I described in words.

If you would contact me offline (infoAThuntphoto.com) substituting the "AT" for the common "@", I'd like to talk to you about acquiring about 30 sec. of footage for demonstration purposes. I'll give you the general specs. to demonstrate the Track Matte Keying Effect via e-mail.

Thank you,

Hunt
                                              • 20. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                                junoflydog Level 1
                                                I threw together a tutorial web page on how to do this with all of my original files including the "circle.psd" file. Click on "Highlight Circle and Slow-Motion" link for directions and files at the bottom of the page.

junoflydog

http://www.weightandbalance.org/video_editing/video_editing.html
                                                • 21. Re: How to Highlight the Action In my video
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  Very nice.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Should be easy for anyone to follow along.

Hunt