14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2008 5:48 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?

Sarahn51 Level 1
      Hi,

Got Cannon VIXIA HG 20 camera and have installed Premiere Elements 7. Its a hard drive 60 GB camera I tried using GET Media, used the AVCHD button but the only drive that shows when I go to pull it off is the SDHC card. The hard disk drive does not show up to pull the video off of. When I use the ImageMixer3 softweare both drives show up.

Is there something I need to do to have the hard disk drive show up? tks
        • 1. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
          Level 1
          Hi Sarah,
          I am having the exact same problem! (except I have a Canon Vixia HF 10). Hopefully someone will help us!
          EJ
          • 2. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
            Level 1
            uh oh, look below at what I found in another post.  I'm so glad I figured this out before I dropped $100 on the upgrade. I would have been mad.<br /><br />"I recently purchased the Canon Vixia HG20, which is nearly identical to your HF 10--with the exception of mine records to HDD instead of memory card. The guts of the camcorder are very similar. I spent a couple of hours on the phone today contacting Canon and Adobe regarding the same issue: Premier Elements 7 does not recognize the camera if you choose the "AVCHD or other hard disk memory camcorder" under the "Get Media". I was told by Adobe that my camera came out after PE 7 was produced...so it was not supported through that method of acquiring footage. However, you can open up the "PC Files and Folders" option and browse the file structure on the camera by choosing the drive letter associated with the camera <Drive Letter>: AVCHD> BDMV > Stream. You will find your AVCHD movie files in this directory. This is unfortunate, however because you cannot see "thumbnails" of the different movie segments you have taken, like you can in the Pixela software. This is not an issue with Vista, or XP for that matter (I am running XP). This is an Adobe issue that resides withing PE7. I hope they fix it with a patch or something. If anyone knows a work-around, please let me know."
            • 3. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
              Paul_LS Level 4
              Use the software that came with the camcorder to get the files on to your hard drive and then use Add Media to import them into PE7. I use this workflow with my Sony, even though PE7 can import them, as the software has a good organizer and is good for quickly reviewing the files.
              • 4. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                Level 1
                Hi,

I also bought a Canon HG20 and had problems recognizing my camera in Adobe PE7 (trial).

The software that came with the camera can only import my movie files into Standert Definition, so that's not an option. I didn't buy an HD camera/shot a movie in HD to have it downgraded again because Canon delivers this cheap freeware with their HD camcorders.

So I guess I'm just going to wait like everybody else for Adobe to come up with a fix. In the mean time, I read on camcorderinfo.com that somebody is using Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate, which works. This might be an option if Adobe takes to long.
                • 5. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  Are you sure that the software that came with the camcorder can not download the hi def files on to your hard drive? I would be very surprised if it can not!!! This software is generally required for combining the 2GB chunks of video that the video is split into when long videos are recorded.
                  • 6. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                    Sarahn51 Level 1
                    Hi,

I used the softwear that came with the camera to bring it to my hard drive, then used get media to bring it to Adobe7. Am I assuming correctly tht the files are HD? tks
                    • 7. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      When the clips are in PE7 go to the Project Media Bin (not the Organizer Media Bin) and right click on it and select Properties... if it gives the dimensions as either 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 then it id HD.
                      • 8. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                        Level 1
                        Yes, I will have to try that myself. I have a Canon Vixia HF-10 and PE7, which is supposed to allow you to "edit video from AVCHD camcorders" like the Canon Vixia series. They just didn't tell me that unlike the other cameras they handle, you have to get the video *OFF* the camera by yourself. :(

- Robert
                        • 9. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          I don't have an AVCHD. How do you get it off the camera by yourself? The more I read about AVCHD the more I realize it's a lemon design.
                          • 10. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                            Paul_LS Level 4
                            Yes, seems very strange. With my Sony I use the supplied application to download the video over USB from the camcorder. It has a great organizer, a AVCHD clip and AVCHD DVD player, ability to burn a AVCHD disc with menu or downconvert to standard definition MPEG2. I cant believe Canon does not supply the equivalent.
                            • 11. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                              Level 1
                              > The more I read about AVCHD the more I realize it's a lemon design.

It's not as bad as it sounds. The design gives way cheaper cameras with very good quality images. For example, the Canon HF-10 (under $600) is a memory-based model with an SDHC slot. The downside is that the internal memory (15Gb) will hold only two hours at the highest resolution, but that's more than I had on some tape-based DV camcorders. With a certain class of SDHC card, you can extend that to whatever the card can hold (I think 32Gn is the largest SDHC card so far?). It's a small and light (soda can size) camera with no moving parts and nice extras like a mic-in plug.

The pain with PE7 is that it doesn't see the camera's built-in memory - only the SDHC card, even though the OS sees both. So what I have to do is use the supplied software (Pixela SE) to download the files to my PC, or use the camera menus to move the files from the internal memory to the SDHC card, from where PE7 can pull it (or I can yank the card froim the camera and stick it directly into my PC card reader).

I've used camcorders for almost 30 years (Panasonic VHS, JVC VHS-C, Sony Eight) and liked my last - a JVC mini-DV model, but realized when I shot my daughters wedding last year and saw it on the big screen that it was time to move up to a higher-def camera. I'm not wealthy, so I was looking closely at price v. performance and that seemed to fall squarely in the AVCHD camp. Personally, I like the Canon form and wase of use as a camcorder, and can only hope that it isn't obsolete before Adobe get their act together.

- Robert
                              • 12. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                                Level 1
                                Thanks for the help--but I"m stuck again. I used Pixela (software that came with the camera) to get the files off my camera and onto my computer. I used the "get media" tool in PE 7, and chose the file location through the "PC Files and Folders" choice. I successfully brought the files into my project. However, the video clips are stuttering. The audio is fine. I tried rendering the project, but that didn't solve the problem. Any ideas where I went wrong?
                                Thanks!
                                • 13. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                                  Level 1
                                  Don't know what to tell you - PE7 has been a pile of crap since say 1. I've imported two sets of clips into it and everytime I try to "share" a simple project to DVD it dies, taking the computer with it. When I tried MPG one one project it killed the computer, and on another it finished, but the MPG was unviewable (blank screen - audio only). I finally got one project to render as AVI. I'll have to try it on another project now to see if that is reliable enough to continue using. All this on a machine that exceeds Adobe's requirements (2.xGhz Core 2/4Gb RAM/Vista up-to-date and lotsa free disk space)

Or more likely, I'll get a copy of Final Cut Express 4 for my MiniMac and switch over there for future work.

Again, what a pile of crap PE7 is - quite a disappointment from PE3 and PE4.

- Robert
                                  • 14. Re: How do download using 7 from AVCHD camera to computer?
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                                    Thank you for sharing, Robert. Happy holidays!