3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2008 1:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Is there any way to overlay an arrow (pointer) on a scene in a movie.

is there any way to overlay an arrow (pointer) on a scene in a movie.
        • 1. Re: Is there any way to overlay an arrow (pointer) on a scene in a movie.
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Autumn,

The easiest way is to create a Title with the "arrow" as either a graphic, or a font symbol. I have used both ways to good effect. For a font symbol "arrow" I like Webdings (not sure where I got, or purchased this font, but there are other symbol fonts available).

You then place your Title on a Video Track Above your Clip and stretch its length/Duration to suit. You can Keyframe in Opacity (to make it gradually appear) and also Motion (for tracking, or Motion/Scale to make it grow, or appear from 0 size to whatever you wish).

For intricate arrows, and such, I create these in Photoshop, or Illustrator and Import as s still image, placing this just as I would a Title.

You can even have the arrow change color. Say you are pointing out a football player running down field with a white arrow and have it change to red, when he catches a pass. Just do two arrow Titles or stills of different colors and place a Cross-dissolve between the two. The Transition's Duration can make the color chage quick, or longer, as you desire.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Is there any way to overlay an arrow (pointer) on a scene in a movie.
            New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
            Yes, you can create one in Photoshop Elements or using the Titler in Premiere Elements you can add various shapes (not sure if an arrow shape is one of them).

There are many free tutorials and articles available at
            http://muvipix.com Check out the Products/Complimentary section
            and
            http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/archive.htm
            • 3. Re: Is there any way to overlay an arrow (pointer) on a scene in a movie.
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Chuck,

In PE's Titler, the Line Tool works pretty well, though not as well, as say the Pen Tool in PS, or AI would. It would also be nice to be able to Group the elements, so you could make global changes to the three lines, but I did not see how, other than a Lasso around it all, but one has to be careful to get all parts and make sure that all changes effect all parts. Given the situation, I'd opt for a symbol font, or creating in another program.

Hunt

[Edit] Did not have Webdings installed on the laptop, so I just played with Wingdings3. The "arrow" symbol for "a" looks very nice. It's a hollow arrow with a hint of a 3D tilt to it.