4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2008 6:33 AM by (Arny_Krueger)

premiere elements 2.0    how to convert mpeg to avi   PLEASE HELP

Here is my problem, I am putting together a hi light video for my sons football seasons. Most of the seasons I have videotaped myself. When I capture the video in Elements it creates several avi files that I can pick and choose from, each file is created from when I pause during recording. I have one seasons worth of videos where I was not the one taping. I have dvd discs that the guy taping gave me. I can put the dvd file into elements and even put it in the time line but it shows up as one long clip....not segmented. It is also an mpeg file. I can use the razor tool to segment it in spots but have no way to convert the file within elements. When I save the project it still stays as one continuous mpeg file in my adobe folder regardless of whether or not I segment it with the razor tool. Oh, and if I haven't made it clear yet I am an Elements idiot. How can I get the files off the dvd to use in the manner in which I need to use them????? Do I have to use a seperate program to make them avi files?????
        • 1. Re: premiere elements 2.0    how to convert mpeg to avi   PLEASE HELP
          Paul_LS Level 4
          If you can work with the files in PE2 then there is no need to convert them. Sounds like you need to break the MPEG video into smaller clips. Simply double click on the MPEG in the Media Bin, it should open in the trimmer, then set In and Out points and drag the trimmed clip back to the Media Bin... a sub-clip will appear. Note the original MPEG has not been cut... the In and Out points form a "virtual" sub-clip.
          • 2. Re: premiere elements 2.0    how to convert mpeg to avi   PLEASE HELP
            Level 1
            Thank you for your help Paul. That is definitely the easier way to segment the clip and grab only what I need from the longer mpeg. The properties of each clip I create still shows it as an mpeg though. When I capture the video from my camcorder it automatically creates all the separate avi files that I can select from within the folder designated for that particular capture. The folder created for the video I am trying to pull from the dvd still only shows the one long mpeg file but does not show the individual sub clips I create so I still don't have a way to transfer those subclips to the hi-light project. I suppose I could try opening the hi-light project, bring the long mpeg file into that project straight from the dvd then create the subclips directly in the project I need them to end up in anyway. Originally I was trying to create a separate project that I could pull the clips from and then insert them in the hi-light project. Is that not going to be possible with the way I have to create the sub clips?
            • 3. Re: premiere elements 2.0    how to convert mpeg to avi   PLEASE HELP
              Level 1
              Never mind Paul, answered my own question. That is exactly the way I need to do it and its simple enough. I am just doing it right within the project. Thanks again for your help
              • 4. premiere elements 2.0 how to convert mpeg to avi PLEASE HELP
                Level 1
                <david_murrane@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b7513a.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br />> Here is my problem, I am putting together a hi light<br />> video for my sons football seasons. Most of the seasons I<br />> have videotaped myself. When I capture the video in<br />> Elements it creates several avi files that I can pick and<br />> choose from, each file is created from when I pause<br />> during recording. I have one seasons worth of videos<br />> where I was not the one taping. I have dvd discs that the<br />> guy taping gave me. I can put the dvd file into elements<br />> and even put it in the time line but it shows up as one<br />> long clip....not segmented. It is also an mpeg file. I<br />> can use the razor tool to segment it in spots but have no<br />> way to convert the file within elements. When I save the<br />> project it still stays as one continuous mpeg file in my<br />> adobe folder regardless of whether or not I segment it<br />> with the razor tool. Oh, and if I haven't made it clear<br />> yet I am an Elements idiot. How can I get the files off<br />> the dvd to use in the manner in which I need to use<br />> them????? Do I have to use a seperate program to make<br />> them avi files?????<br /><br />If you want to subdivide a file on the timeline in APE 2:<br /><br />(1) Move the Work Area markers on the timeline to include just the portion <br />you wish to export as a separate file.<br /><br />(2) Go to File, Export, Movie<br /><br />(3) In the Settings Window of the Movie Export dialog select:   Range, "Work <br />Area Bar"<br /><br />(4) Save the file with the desired name.<br /><br />Repeat as desired to create separate segment video files for each segment <br />you wish to work with separately.<br /><br />When you are all done creating the segment video files, start a new project <br />and assemble the files as desired.