5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2008 9:48 AM by the_wine_snob

avi importing problems

When I import an avi (about two hours long) to premiere 4. The footage on three out of four of them is in black and white and distorted. I don't know why. I had an error come up saying something about diskspace o I cleared some room and the problem still occurs. I took the videos to my friends houses on his adobe 4 and the same thing happened just without the disk space error.
        • 1. Re: avi importing problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Mike,

Tell us some more about these AVI's. I use a freeware program, G-Spot to get AV file details, www.headbands.com/gspot. I would suspect that it is a CODEC issue with the AVI's. AVI is just a wrapper, and all sorts of things can be inside the file. G-Spot tells you what those things are.

Also, are you working on 3 two hour AVI's in the same Project? That would be a load, even for my workstation and Premiere Pro. I would not be surprised that PE4 choked if you ARE using 6 hours of Assets.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: avi importing problems
            Level 1
            it doesn't matter if its one or all it still doesn't work. I'm actually only trying to use certain clips but... I looked at the properties and the data rate is slower for the one that works but not by much. The pixels are all really close and is all the other data so I don't know why one would work and not the others. I ll try the program you recommended though.
            • 3. Re: avi importing problems
              Level 1
              i used the program and i have no idea what anything is at all.
              • 4. Re: avi importing problems
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                You can also open the AVI in Windows Media Player and, from the File menu, select Properties. This will tell you what codecs the file uses for its audio and video.
                • 5. Re: avi importing problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Mike,

"AVI" is but a wrapper. All sorts of things can be inside that wrapper. Think of it as the foil around a piece of chocolate. Inside can be nuts and chocolate, jelly and chocolate, etc. It is the same with .AVI. An AVI looks the same to our un-aided eyes, as any other AVI, but they can be night-n-day apart.

As Steve suggests, finding out the properties (basically the CODECs) will help define exactly what the problem is. I use a little freeware program, G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) to get the full info on any AVI. It also looks at my system and tells me if I have the proper CODECs and if they are correctly installed. Could not live without it.

Report back with the CODEC info, and someone here will likely be able to help you.

Good luck,

Hunt