6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 10:51 AM by the_wine_snob

DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button

A.T. Romano Level 7
      I have created a DVD Main Menu in Photoshop CS4 Extended for Premiere Elements 4 as well as editing an existing Premiere Elements 4 DVD Main Menu in Photoshop Elements 6 and run into the same following highlighting problem:

The design of each menu button is such that there is in its Group:
      a. the (%) video for the thumbnail of the video (4:3 solid color block)
      b. frame to go around the thumbnail
      c. Text to go under the framed thumbnail

When I roll the cursor over the button, I want the frame as well as the text to be highlighted. I can achieve one or the other, but not both. I use (=1) for the Text highlight and (=2) for the frame frame, but, no matter what combination or arrangement of layers/layer sets/codes, the result is the same, one or the other (using =1), but not both (using =1 and =2).

Although an Encore DVD Menu creation tutorial suggests that the code species (=2) exists, I have yet to find an existing Premiere Elements 4 DVD Menu where both the frame and the text underneath the frame is highlighted at the same time when the cursor is rolled over the button (showing the =1 and =2 codes or anything else)

I would appreciate any comments on whether I am looking for something that is not possible OR whether I have just not figured out the how to answer.
        • 1. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          A T,

I have not done this in PE, but with PS and Encore have done it several times. In my cases, I have used =2 for a lighter color with lower Opacity (higher Transparency), that is slightly larger than my =1 Highlight. The creation is in PS, but unfortunately, the altering of the Menu Color Set must be done in Encore. I do not know if this will differ, with PS Extended, in say CS4. My use is to mimic a "glow," and as we are limited to only 3 colors, plus Transparency/Opacity, one has to plan carefully.

I do not know how PE handles Menu Color Sets, and hope that another persom with more familiarity with that program can step in with step-by-step instructions.

Good luck,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            I've never employed (=2) in creating DVD menu templates for Premiere Elements.

The easiest way to make it work is to have all of the graphic elements for your highlight on the same Photoshop layer, named (%) Highlight.

There's a more complete discussion of the necessary naming conventions for the various version in my Steve's Tips article on creating custom DVD templates at Muvipix.com.
            http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=7
            • 3. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Yes Steve,

Putting them all on the same Layer (provided that one wanted to use the same color/transparency) would certainly solve the problem.

Only caveat would be that the Button will likely get a bit bigger, so watch for any overlaps. Other than that, it should work fine.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
                A.T. Romano Level 7
                Hunt,

When you create your DVD menus with Photoshop and Encore as described, can these menus be loaded into Premiere Elements 4 or any other version of Premiere Elements and do these menus work in Premiere Elements 4 or any other version of Premiere Elements?

If I cannot go the (=2) highlight route, I have thought about creating a text layer (for the title under the thumbnail), simplifying (rasterizing it), then adding a the frame to that layer, and then coding the layer (=1) highlight. But, I have not done that yet.

SG

Did you really mean ...., named (%) Highlight....in your suggestions or did you mean (=1). I have been through all the how tos and have a good handle on the conventions, except for this one point.

Thank you both. In the final analysis, at this point it is more a "why can't I" instead of "I have to have that dual highlight" to make the effect work. Thank you both for your inputs and am heading back to the programs to explore your helpful suggestions.
                • 5. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  Sorry. Yes, you're right, Tony. It should be (=1) Highlight.
                  • 6. Re: DVD Menu with Two or More Highlights per Button
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Tony,

I have not tried any of these in PE, only Encore2. IIRC, one has to have both the main and scene selection menus in the same folder in PE. I'll construct one of each, using the PE naming conventions and test it out.

Now, one thing that I do not know is if PE allows one to change the Menu Color Set - I do not belive that it does, but maybe Steve can instruct me there. I do wish that PS allowed access to this setting, but have to use Encore2 to make changes there. Like I said earlier, maybe PS Extended, or similar has/will have that capability.

I'll post back my PE results.

Hunt