4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 4:26 AM by (editmachine)

Problems with Premier Elements 7 Opening Earlier Projects

I have used Premier Elements 3 to create many 15-60 minute videos, most built from Photoshop Elements slide shows imported into Premier, and most with DVD output designed. After installing Version 7, I attempted to open these projects which it is supposed to do. A minority will open fine. The balance either cause the error "The project cannot be loaded - it may be damaged or contain outdated elements".

Does anyone else have these types of problems? I have tried all of the various methods outlined in the KB, like deleting preferences, etc., removing and re-installing, booting with nothing else loaded, etc. Nothing has any impact. I have talked to Adobe support and they are clueless and just walk me through the usual install/uninstall, etc. can anyone help? I have an enormous investment in time in these 3.0 videos and I bought Version 7 to upgrade and now it does not work! Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Problems with Premier Elements 7 Opening Earlier Projects
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          In most cases, you will run into problems trying to open a previous version project with a newer version of the program. (The programming for Premiere Elements changes that much from version to version.)

You should finish your version 3 project work in version 3.
          • 2. Re: Problems with Premier Elements 7 Opening Earlier Projects
            A.T. Romano Level 7
            Just a thought....

How are you opening the Premiere Elements 3 project in Premiere Elements 7?

According to the Adobe party line Premiere Elements 7 PDF, you can open projects created in earlier versions of Premiere Elements in Premiere Elements 7, but you cannot open projects created in Premiere Elements 7 in earlier versions.

Do you have Premiere Elements 3 and 7 on the same computer at this time?
            The Adobe suggestions is, if problems in this regard and instead of right clicking the project file in its saved location, then:
            1. open the project from with Premiere Elements 7
            or
            2. right click the project file in its saved location and name Premiere Elements 7 as the Open With program

Check it out to see if I have interpreted this info correctly

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WSB51FF526-3E14-430c-B388-FD0B747547E9.ht ml
            • 3. Re: Problems with Premier Elements 7 Opening Earlier Projects
              A.T. Romano Level 7
              Editing correction to:

Where it says "The Adobe suggestions is, if problems in this regard and instead of right clicking....."

That should be "The Adobe suggestions are, if problems in this regard and instead of double clicking...."

Sorry for the right clicking instead of the what I intended = double clicking.
              • 4. Re: Problems with Premier Elements 7 Opening Earlier Projects
                Level 1
                I would not agree with G Steve here.
                The Forward compatibility works fine in Premiere Elements. Its the backward compatibility that they dont claim to support. (and it doesnt work for most applications).

There could be some slideshow graphics from Photoshop Elements that might not exist anymore in the latest version though. But that should not stop opening the project.

Does these open fine in PRE3.0.
                (make a copy of these file and save a backup copy set and then play around with the originals- to avoid loosing data)