8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.

I have a canon sd870 IS point and shoot camera and I've been shooting a lot of videos with it that I compile together in PRE4. I just downloaded the trial for PRE7 and it gives me this message when trying to use the same video files:
      "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed"

I don't understand why they would remove the ability to view files from a NEWER version?
      Is there some way to get PRE7 to read my video files that are readable by PRE4?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Video from digital cameras is usually of a codec not compatible with Premiere Elements.

If you convert the file, per our FAQs, you will be able to edit it though.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2
          • 2. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
            Level 1
            Every avi video file that I've tried to import into PRE7 I've already used successfully in PRE4. Why would I now have to convert everything to use the same video file that is already compatible with Elements?
            • 3. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              I'm not sure why, if your video clips work, you're getting the message you posted at the top of this thread.
              • 4. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
                Barb__O Level 4
                >Every avi video file that I've tried to import into PRE7 I've already used successfully in PRE4. Why would I now have to convert everything to use the same video file that is already compatible with Elements?

Looking at the Canon site it says that the video from your camera is
                > Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE [Monaural])

Premiere Elements has always been marginal in how it handled the Motion JPEG codec video.

These forums have many posts and variations of Canon MJPEG video working some times and not others. For example some people had Canon still camera MJPEG video that worked in PRE3 and then did not work in PRE4 on the same PC.

I have a Canon A650IS that takes MJPEG video (as well as other Canons in the family) so I have read many of the posts about MJPEG video in Premiere Elements.

Look at this FAQ which discusses the 2 alternatives of either using Movie Maker to convert or downloading and installing an MJPEG codec.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c054b56/4

My advice is to be pragmatic and try one of these solutions: they have worked for many people.
                • 5. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
                  Level 1
                  Thanks everyone for your time.
                  After reinstalling pre7, now everything seems to work fine and I can once again view the videos with no problem.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Barb,

I think that it is about time that both Canon & Nikon do their part, with regards to some of their still camera "movies." Two new, top models of each, offer some new variations on both MJPEG and MPEG (new bit-rate, that is not well supported). Each has developed a new, improved CODEC, but neither has seen fit to offer these in installation packages to folk using any NLE. I understand wanting "new and improved," but when you do this, you MUST consider that folk will possibly want to actually edit, and not just display on a TV, or a computer. Both companies could use a good, swift kick, and I own Canon, and have used Nikon professionally for four+ decades.

Trust me, the next three months will have dozens of posts from frustrated users, who bought/received either a new Nikon, or Canon still camera, and want to edit their motion footage. A proper CODEC installer from both companies would go a very long way, indeed.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
                      Barb__O Level 4
                      Bill,

>Trust me, the next three months will have dozens of posts from frustrated users, who bought/received either a new Nikon, or Canon still camera, and want to edit their motion footage. A proper CODEC installer from both companies would go a very long way, indeed.

I will thinking EXACTLY the same thing as I just responded to a new camera video won't play the the Photoshop Elements Organizer question over on the Photoshop Elements forum. All I did not now is ask a few questions on that one like which make and model of camera.

If you tell me your userid or send me a message over at muvipix, perhaps we can consolidate questions. In some cases, I am not even sure which codec those videos are or that the camera manufacturer is providing any codec for subsequent processing.

Barb O
                      is my muvipix userid and it does include the space
                      • 8. Re: Premiere 7 will not view files that Premiere 4 WOULD view.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        BarbO,

Mine is simple, Bill Hunt. That is about the only UserID that I can remember nowadays!

I really believe that the client-base of these camera mfgrs. would benefit, if only the camera companies were forthcoming about their CODECs and shared them via an installable file.

Nikon did sell additional software, Nikon Capture XX, but I think that Canon's only endeavor is with the bundled software. It is not like they are trying to coin the market on NLE's, or anything.

I understand their wanting to improve quality and performance, but should realize that editing of their material will occur with many, if not most users.

What we are likely to see will be consumers railing against Adobe, Sony, Pinnacle and the rest, because they have not moved at the speed of light to incorporate the newer schemes, while it behooves the camera company to make the info available and to even be proactive in the spread and use of its schemes. Heck, even looking at the tech specs. for the cameras on the Nikon and Canon site doesn't yield much useful info - OK, they get good quality onto a small footprint, but HOW?

At least with Sony/Minolta, the new changes can be included in Vegas, but Nikon & Canon do not have a stake in the NLE market, of which I am aware.

Each camp's followers claim that their camera is the new state-of-the-art and will replace mini-DV tape-based capture. I just don't see this happening, until the mfgrs. furnish the proper tools, especially tools that can be "plugged-in" to current NLEs. Our task is to find the best way to get this new footage into the NLE with the fewest steps for happy editing. As users seem loathe to use any 3rd party programs for Capture or conversion, it's not easy. They just assume that Adobe, Sony, Pinnacle and the rest are dragging their feet and are not quick enough to adopt and adapt.

Will be an interesting quarter, for sure.

Hunt