5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2008 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Adding arrows etc

How do I add an arrow or a circle in PE 7 to a still photo? If I have a person that I'd like to single out in a group photo for example?
        • 1. Re: Adding arrows etc
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Andrew,

Probably the easiest way to do this is to create a Title. Choose a font like Wingdings3, and (with that font) type the letter "a." You should get an arrow character with a tiny bit of 3D-like tilt. You can position, as required, Size it (font character size), and alter its color. The Title is then placed on the Video Track above your still picture. It's Motion>Scale & Position can be Keyframed to make it move about (maybe into the scene), or grow/shrink.

For a Circle, I'd use the Ellipse Tool, with only Stroke and no Fill on a Title.

Hunt

PS, one can use other symbol fonts, or create an "arrow" with the Line Tool. Since you cannot really zoom-in on the Titler Panel, it's slightly more cumbersome to do the creation with the line tool. I find it easier to create my arrow in Illustrator and/or Photoshop and Import, but the symbol font method, above, is very quick.
          • 2. Re: Adding arrows etc
            Level 1
            Thank you!
            • 3. Re: Adding arrows etc
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Andrew,

One thing that I should have added is that Windows Character Map is invaluable when using symbol fonts, as PE does not have a Glyphs Panel, like AI and InDesign do. It's hard to know what keyboard character will yield which symbol, without a lot of typing. In Character Map, just adjust the font (drop-down at the top of the screen) to the desired symbol font, then Select & Copy. You will then just Ctrl-v into your PE Title, with the "I-Beam" cursor of the Type Tool active.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Adding arrows etc
                Level 1
                Like you read my mind. I actually hunted around until I found the arrow character. Your further tip here is a real time saver. Thank you for taking the time (and I must admit I had to search around for the character map but found it in Accessories). All the best to you, Bill.
                • 5. Re: Adding arrows etc
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Andrew,

I probably should have thought that one out. As I always put a Shortcut onto my desktops, I forgot that others might need to go and find it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hunt