6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 1:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Canon 5D Mark II

Will Premiere Elements edit video from the new Canon 5D Mark II?
        • 1. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          That is a digital still camera so, yes, you can use photos from the camera in a Premiere Elements project. We recommend optimizing them though.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8822c

The HD video it records, however, is in the Quicktime format, which isn't always a smooth fit for Premiere Elements (particularly since the codec it uses records to 30 fps rather than a standard video frame rate).

I would recommend doing your editing on a Mac (which works with Quicktime video natively) or using a program like Quicktime Pro to either edit the video or convert it to a more editable DV-AVI (the preferred format for Premiere Elements).
          • 2. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            It appears (from CanonUSA's site), that it records motion in .MOV format, but I could not find any data on what CODEC it uses. In general terms, these should be editible in PE, but you may have either load the appropriate CODEC, or do a file conversion, outside of PE.

You will have to upload your .MOV files to the computer, as there will be no Capture capability that I can imagine, as the only connection *seems* to be USB. Normally, one has to copy these files to the HDD, and then Import into an NLE.

It seems that I have seen some questions on this particular camera and Adobe's NLE's. You might want to search this, and the Adobe Premiere Pro forums. I do not recall any details, but in one forum, there were about 3 5D MKII posts in a row. That would indicate the potential for a problem.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Here's one article, that I found:
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b755fb/4

Will keep my eyes open for the others,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Here is another, with link to a Vimeo piece on workflow with this camera: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b76728

I'll add any others, that I find.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

B & H Photo has just published a GUIDE to using a DSLR to capture video. This might prove useful to anyone using the Canon 5D/7D, or the Nikon D-series DSLR's.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Canon 5D Mark II
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard Crook just posted a LINK to his blog on working with the footage from the Canon 5D/7D. It might prove useful.

Good luck, and hope that this helps someone in the future.

Hunt