2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 8:26 AM by the_wine_snob

Ghost video in transition

I'm trying to transition between two videos, but when I render I keep getting a few ghost frames from video I've already deleted. I already checked the FAQs and found this:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc24963

So, I tried clipping a few frames (even up to a second) off the end and beginning of the two clips, but the ghost image remains. I've also tried deleting the render files, but the problem persists.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Ghost video in transition
          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
          You'll have to keep trying different senarious until you find one where there is no ghost. Did you try playing back the video on TV? What you see play back in Premiere Elements can be misleading. If you see a ghost with all transitions, then I can't help you.
          • 2. Re: Ghost video in transition
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Afgoody,

This is most often caused by not having adequate "Handles," on your Video Clip. Handles are the necessary extra frames on a Clip, that allow one to add a Transition.

Back in the "good old days" of A-B Rolls, it was an easy concept to see and grasp. Now, with things on one Timeline, it seems a bit more abstract, even with the good explanation in F1. First read up on "Handles." The Premiere Pro Manual has some good diagrams of exactly how this works. Do not know about PE.

In short, let's take a Clip that was shot for 10 sec. It contains ~300 "frames." If we cut this Clip between two other Clips and wish to add a Transition of 2 sec. (60 frames) to each end, we need to set the In and Out Points of that Clip with 30 extra frames (half the runtime of the Transition) at each end, so there is visual material to transition with. This means that the edited Clip will only be 240 frames long, with 30 extra frames in front of the In Point, and 30 extra frames after the Out Point.

If we have shot only the 300 frames, and want to use all of these, the only place that those extra 30 frames before, and 30 frames after, can come from will be the Clips before and after our 300 frames. This is what you are seeing.

First rule: never shoot too tightly. Always allow extra frames before and after the "action" that you will wish to use. These extra frames will be your Handles.

Second rule: if you have not provided the extra Handles, then look to not using a Transition, but a Butt-cut, instead, or be prepared to Cut your Clip more tightly (by the necessary number of frames for the Handles).

An editing trick, of sorts, is to use a Dip-to-Black Transition. Provided that a clear view of the last few frames is not 100% necessary, the viewer will be able to see much of the action, as it fades to black.

Another similar trick, predicated on the audio being strong, is to use L and J Cuts around a cutaway visual Clip, maybe a POV (Point of View), that is not transitioned in any way. The Audio continues un-cut, but the visual will change to what the main subject is "seeing," etc.

Still, the best, while shooting is to include extra frames on each end of a Clip.

Hunt