4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 3:34 PM by (Jon_Klegg)

No sound when importing vob files

Hi, I'm using Premiere Elements 3, Windows XP media center, and when I try to import a vob file from my home movie DVDs the picture imports fine but the sound is completely missing, and no track appears in the timeline soundtrack. It works fine with other imported files, and I have tried changing the file extension from vob to mpeg, which gives the same result. I can't help feeling I'm missing something very obvious, as I couldn't find any other postings of anyone who has lost the sound completely.
      Thanks,
      Jon Klegg
        • 1. Re: No sound when importing vob files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Some DVDs use audio or video codecs that Premiere Elements can't work with (It varies from system to system, depending on how yours is configured).

The best solution is to convert any DVD files to DV-AVIs before you edit them in Premiere Elements. Here's how:
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
          • 2. Re: No sound when importing vob files
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
            Usually the audio will be missing when you import VOB's until indexing has completed and audio conforming has completed and the pek waveform has completed. All status messages about these things will have stopped.

If you open your project now, is the audio there? I've seen in prior versions where the audio was missing but magically appears after saving and exiting Premiere Elements, then loading it back up.
            • 3. Re: No sound when importing vob files
              Level 1
              Hi Robert, Hi Steve,
              Thankyou for getting back to me. I waited a long time for that audio track to appear and in the end I downloaded the DVD converter you suggested. It is actually a reasonably quick way of extracting a piece of DVD as well as converting it to something that is now working for me in PE3, which has solved what was a very frustrating problem.
              Thanks once again to you both.
              Regards,
              Jon Klegg
              • 4. Re: No sound when importing vob files
                Level 1
                <grisetti_steve@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b75d5b.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br />> Some DVDs use audio or video codecs that Premiere<br />> Elements can't work with (It varies from system to<br />> system, depending on how yours is configured).<br />><br />> The best solution is to convert any DVD files to DV-AVIs<br />> before you edit them in Premiere Elements. Here's how:<br />> http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e<br /><br />I've run into this problem many times, and generally find that Super(C) is <br />the more convenient tool.