5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2008 7:38 AM by Steve Grisetti

Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)

Before purchasing Premier Elements I wanted to ask if Premier supports the PCTV HD Card as a capture device?

Thanks!

--Matt
        • 1. Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It does not.

If you're looking to capture from an analog source, you should one of the devices recommended in the FAQs at the top of this forum, such as the ADS Pyro AV Link.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb95e46
          • 2. Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)
            Level 1
            Okay thanks, I did not realize Premier was designed mostly for DV and not any type of video input. What software would you recommend then for say, capturing old VHS tapes and moving them to DVD and the like? (I realize dual DVD/VHS machines can do vhs>dvd but i want something a bit fancier and less expensive).

Thanks!

--Matt
            • 3. Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              MatthewH12,

I use a Turtle Beach Capture PCI card, plus their software to get analog data digitized to DV-AVI on the computer. Once that is done, the DV-AVI files can be Imported into Premiere for editing.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)
                Level 1
                <MatthewH12@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b75dc7.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> Before purchasing Premier Elements I wanted to ask if<br />> Premier supports the PCTV HD Card as a capture device?<br /><br />I've had pretty good luck capturing MPEG files with the software that comes <br />with various HD cards, and then importing that into APE 4.<br /><br />Of course if you have some MPEG that APE doesn't do well with, there is <br />always Super(C).
                • 5. Re: Pinnacle PCTV HD Card (800i)
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  And of course, it depends on your workflow.

If you plan to just capture video and create a DVD with minimal editing, then the Plextor ConvertX will work fine. Just leave Premiere Elements out of the equation. The ConvertX comes with decent software for editing and authoring DVDs.

But Premiere Elements is really more for doing production work. Turning home videos into great looking videos and DVDs. If that's what you're planning to do, then it will definitely be worth your while to buy an ADS Pyro AV Link or similar device.