9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 7:23 PM by the_wine_snob

.mpg Audio in PE 7.0

Level 1
      I am trying to import a number of .mpg files into a new project. When I import about 12 files, half are imported as Media Type Movie and half as Video. All audio is absent on the files marked Video.

I am hoping this is a simple fix I have as yet been unable to locate. I have searched through the entire menu system with no joy. How do I get the sound to function within the program on these files? The sound works fine on these files outside the program.
        • 1. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          The best advice is to convert the MPEGs to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements. This will ensure that all your video clips will perform as they should.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
          • 2. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
            Level 1
            The strange part is that these clips were all filmed using the same camera on the same day. Why are some of them being imported properly and others not? Shouldn't the software treat all of them the same way?
            • 3. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
              Level 1
              These files are also available in DVD .vob format. Would it be easier to import the data from these files instead of using the .mpg files?

I want to avoid going to .avi so as not to lose any video and audio quality.

Does the above question make sense?
              • 4. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Actually, the quality hit has already taken place with both the MPEG and the MPEG in the VOB's. Conversion to DV-AVI will never be noticed and will facilitate editing, both in speed and in other issues, like sync. Unfortunately, the "damage" has been done and cannot be reversed. That is the limitation (even with HD) of any MPEG conversion in camera. DV-AVI will be no worse, than what comes from the camera.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                  Level 1
                  I have the same problem. I tried converting to AVI with PRISM, the free version. I have noticed that PRISM hangs up and the conversion is never finished. Has anyone got a recommendation of a reliable mpg to avi converter? Thanks, Rodney.
                  • 6. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                    From the FAQs at the top of this forum:
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
                    • 7. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Rodney,

I use DigitalMedia Converter from Deskshare. It's shareware (about US$40), but they have a trail that is full-featured (or was), and is only time limited - 30 days, IIRC.

So long as you have the necessary CODEC's, as it comes with none, it will handle almost all format conversions. I use it almost weekly to get to DV-AVI with PCM/WAV 48MHz 16-bit Audio. It has yet to fail me.

I'd definitely look at Steve's link, as I believe that there are several freeware conversion programs there.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                        Level 1
                        Thanks Hunt and Steve... and others on this forum. I'll follow through. If you don't hear from me it is becasue I will be away for 2 weeks from tomorrow. Rushing through work so I can go.
                        All the best everyone, Rodney.
                        • 9. Re: .mpg Audio in PE 7.0
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Rodney,

We'll be waiting. Have a great holiday.

It never worked for me, when I tried to "clean my slate," but maybe will for you.

Hunt