5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2008 2:53 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Any good AVI splitter?

I have lots of AVI files that were imported from old HI-8 tapes. Each files is around 13GB in size. Rather than capturing in segments, I captured the whole tape and am looking for a good AVI splitter to break the file into much more manageable chunks.

There are tons of hits when I google "AVI Splitter". Wanted to see whether the forum community can recommend a reliable one. I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Any good AVI splitter?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You can use either Premiere Elements or Windows MovieMaker to export portions of those AVIs as shorter AVIs.
          • 2. Re: Any good AVI splitter?
            Ed.Macke Level 3
            You might also want to look at Scenalyzer (www.scenalyzer.com). It will look at scenes or timecode to create multiple smaller AVI files from one large AVI. They have a trail version that you can try.

This is a better approach than just randomly splitting the AVI into "chunks" based on size or time (which some splitters will do).
            • 3. Re: Any good AVI splitter?
              Level 1
              Thanks for your input.

I was actually looking for a splitter that would let me preview the file and slice certain segments out of it rather than a utility that cuts the file in predetermined seegment sizes based on size or time.
              • 4. Re: Any good AVI splitter?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Again, Premiere Elements and even Windows MovieMaker will allow you to trim you clip and output it as short segments.
                • 5. Re: Any good AVI splitter?
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  That's what you can do with Premiere Elements. With certain AVIs, there is no rerendering. Just set the Work Area Bar (WAB) over the portion of video you want to keep and export it. Then set the WAB over the next section you want to keep and export it.

When you export, you need to change the video output settings to match the video codec, dimensions, framerate and other items of your source AVI, and clear the Recompress option on the video tab.

File > Export > Movie > Settings...

In order to export only the area covered by the WAB, you need to change the Range option on the General tab from "Entire Timeline" to "Work Area Bar."

It definitely works for DV-AVI.

You don't even need to have clips on the timeline. In the Project media bin, not the Orgainizer, you can double-click on the avi file and it will open up a preview editor where you can set the in and out points. Then you can export that: File > Export > Movie > Settings...

In order to export only the In to Out points, you need to change the Range option on the General tab from "Entire Clip" to "In to Out." Important thing to note, if the timeline has the focus, then the Range option will say "Entire Timeline" or "Work Area Bar" instead of "Entire Clip" or "In to Out." So make sure you don't change the focus to the timeline when working with the Preview editor/monitor.