5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 6:12 PM by Paul_LS

DVD clips

I have Premiere Elements version 2.0 and I'm trying to import clips from my DVD camera. I have finalized the disc and when I put the disc in the computer - only three clips show up in the "Add Media" window. I have at least six clips on the disc. It won't show any more than three on any given disc. I am also unable to see a picture of the clip in the thumbnail - it shows a clip frame instead.

Is there a way to see all of the clips?
        • 1. Re: DVD clips
          New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
          All of the clips will be included in 1gb VOB files, they are not stored on the DVD as 'clips'. 1gb is the maximum size for each VOB file so you will usually have no more than 3 VOB files to import, sometimes 4 but the 4th one will not be a full GB. Import all of the VOB files and you can separate the clips manually by cutting them out.

Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and a whole lot more, that's http://muvipix.com
          • 2. Re: DVD clips
            Level 1
            My next question is this: it will import as you say...however - not everything gets imported in those clips. There is only some of the DVD that actaully imports. Why is that? Also, in the owner's manual, they actaully show the individual clips in the "Add Media" window and you can select only those you want for import. I don't seem to be able to do that.

Any other suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: DVD clips
              New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
              How many VOB files do you see if you use explorer to view the contents of the DVD disc?
              • 4. Re: DVD clips
                Level 1
                I'm not sure how to view on Explorer...but, I looked on My Computer and the contents show this:

3 VOB files with the following sizes

222,704 KB
                1,048,258 KB
                576 KB

There are also these files: VTS BUP, Video Info, Video BUP

*Also...when I look at the contents on the menu page of the actual DVD, there are about 30 individual clips. I am not seeing all of this footage when I import as the "3" clips in Premiere.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve
                • 5. Re: DVD clips
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  Look at this method for joining/importing VOB files, it eliminates many issues:
                  http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469