7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 6:34 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't

atangel
      Yup. Let me say that I converted the VOB files to DV to start before dropping it into PE.

So I can take VOB files and export them to m4v just perfectly.

Taking the same VOB files, converting to DV (which play just fine as DV in quicktime) and then converting to m4v messes something up (setting Ipod High. I wish there was more control over these settings, hate the presets). Either freeze-flicker images or flickering green screens.

Sure I can go directly from streamclip, and PE7 feels much slower with all the rendering and conforming, but I want to edit it some first (dance between a brother and sister at a wedding, too cute for me, but I figure the practice would be nice).

Any thoughts? I suppose I could edit it, then output to DVD and then streamclip it again, but I don't think that was why I paid the upgrade price (and why is it so many tools these things well for free when adobe doesn't for a fee? Hope a patch is soon forthcoming).

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
          New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
          I always use the H.264 format to export for my iPod.

You have the option to go to the Advanced Settings and make lots of changes, have you looked at the Advanced screen?

Everything you need to know about Premiere Elements and More
          http://muvipix.com
          • 2. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
            atangel Level 1
            Hmmm...

When I pick share with PC/Quicktime, H.264 creates a mov (which works fine on the PC but is not supported by Ipod without additional conversion)

When I go the share > mobile > Ipod route, that is also supposedly H.264, creates an .mv4, doesn't really work.

Perhaps I missing the point you are trying to make (but I would love to have access to all options and the formats they could save to in one dynamic dialog! I hate this drill down by device)
            • 3. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
              Level 1
              I am having a similar problem. green screens. Looks like interlaced instead of progressive (people moving back and forth).

Does anyone have a set of Advanced settings that will work to convert HD 1080i content to an iPod. Having an export to an iPod is great, but it needs to work. Seems like the default settings should do this automatically.

I can't even get QuickTime to display it properly.
              • 4. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
                atangel Level 1
                I never solved this... but it does appear that even though the green flicker is there when played on a PC, it DOES play properly on an ipod....

Kinda dumb, but there it is. If I hadn't wanted to edit it, I think using Streamclip (a free tool) would have created a file that would work on both well (streamclip will output for ipod as well, so I could have gone from VOB straight to m4v).
                • 5. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  I'm not sure why you're having these problems, Atangel. It works great for me.

Sorry I can't help you.
                  • 6. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
                    atangel Level 1
                    Thanks Steve... I know you are on these Boards a lot and know a fair amount (modest smile) about PE and editing! But I like their product and there are times it frustrates me (like all good products). With Dean now with the same or similar issue, maybe they will take a look at it? Where there are 2 people with an issue, you can be sure with this product's install base that maybe its more like 2000 people. We can only hope. Or that eventually, someone stumbles on the the real reason or work around.
                    • 7. Re: PE7 To IPod. Straight From StreamClip Works, PE7 Doesn't
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                      Well, you can certainly contact Adobe, by clicking the Contact button at the top of this screen, and let them know your concern.

But it's also important to make sure you're using the proper program settings and workflow.

So, for instance, you say that you're "Taking the same VOB files, converting to DV (which play just fine as DV in quicktime) and then converting to m4v messes something up". I'm not really sure what that means, workflow wise. How are you converting? (You seem to imply you're using MPEG Streamclip, but are you using our recommended settings with the proper supporting software installed?) Why are you doing two conversions? (Minimizing the number of conversions minimizes damage to the file) What programs are you using? What settings are you using? What project settings are you using in Premiere Elements?

You can, for instance, open a Premiere Elements project, using the DVD project settings, rip files directly from a DVD and output an H.264/MP4 that will look very good.