7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2009 2:26 AM by (Reka_F)

How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?

Level 1
      If anyone knows what is an easy and safe way to put an invisible watermark on videos edited with Premiere Elements 4 that cannot be removed can you please let me know?

thanks a lot
        • 1. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
          Level 1
          Why do you want the watermark to be invisible? You could just but a semi-transparent graphic on a lower timeline and stretch it across the length of the video.
          • 2. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
            Level 1
            many thanks for getting back and the idea, but i just don't want it to be visually interfering with the content. it is for security purposes obviously, but wouldn't want the viewers to be reminded every second of the film. i know it's possible to do for big companies, i am just not sure that there is a solution in the public realm.
            • 3. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              By making it invisible, the only place that it will appear is in your Project file. It will not be burned to the image appearing on the DVD. There will be no trace of it there. Not even the
              i "CSI Edition'
              of Premiere Pro could find this on the DVD.

Now, Copy Protection is something else. You might want to take a look at a thread on this subject:
              http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4423

Along the lines of E Mann's suggestion, a "Bug" (small logo) could easily be inserted in one corner. This would be visible and would be part of the image on the DVD. It could be very small, and have significant Transparency. Think of the small logo that appears in the lower-right of most TV broadcasts. After a moment, we don't even know that it's there, unless it goes away, or moves. One additional thought on this is if you place it far enough into the corner, it would be outside the Safe Area and would not even be seen on most CRT TV's, because of "over-scan," but still on the image, that is on the DVD.

I would look into having a Title, with the © notice, and the Bug. Still, only honest clients/recipients of the DVD, will be bothered. All others will freely copy and distribute the material.

There are just not good, effective ways to protect your material. Also, no burned disc can have even the normal Copy Protection, only replicated/stamped discs can.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
                Level 1
                thank you, helpful, as ever. i will be sending the material to only a handful of people and thought that putting on a personal bug would at least enable me to trace it back, should i ever need to. if you say that the bug at least cannot be removed without much difficulty then i guess it would work.
                • 5. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Reka,

There is a freeware video editing program (name eludes me at this moment) that can use plug-in to remove logos. I have not used it, nor the logo-removal plug-in. Do not know how well it works, if at all, but the combo does exist.

Some people go to great lengths to make sure that copies of their DVD's are usable later on. They'll have their logo parading across the screen a intervals, and even alter the audio to maybe have a tone, or perhaps "demo" uttered through out.

Still, if someone is bent on copying your footage, there are all sorts of things they might do. If the Bug is too far out of the picture area, they could just Scale, and or Crop and extract the central portion of the image. Other than basically rendering the footage unwatchable, there are always ways around it, for those who do not value your ownership.

If I can conjure up the name of the editing program, and it's plug-in, I'll post it. The way my memory has been functioning, I'm sure others will have the name handy and post sooner.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    OK, VirtualDUB. Take a look at this link:
                    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/capture/delogo.html

It covers other logo-removal steps.

Maybe just include a letter from your attorney with the copies that you hand out? It's not easy to stop piracy. If one wants the footage, they'll find some way to get it.

Still, your logo and maybe a title with the legal issues will keep the copies to a mild roar.

Good luck,

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: How to put watermark on projects created with Premiere Elements 4?
                      Level 1
                      yes, I think you have made your point (although the link didn't work for me). thanks again for the quick and elaborate advice.