13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 4:54 PM by JoA41

Adding music to a menu in version 3

JoA41 Level 1
      I have tried adding music to my menus and find that I cannot increase the length of the music beyond the default which seems to be 4 sec. I try to change the time but when I hit enter the number returns to the default. (I can make it shorter, however.) Thus I keep getting a loop of only 4 sec. of my music choice. Does anyone know if this is normal or know how to increase the length of the music before it loops? It is annoying to have the same 4 sec phrase repeat over and over while using a menu and other programs I've used do not have this problem.
        • 1. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You have a maximum of 30 seconds on your audio loop for your menus.

Where is your audio coming from? Is it longer than 4 seconds?
          • 2. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
            JoA41 Level 1
            30 seconds would be fine, but I can't get my program to hold a time over 4 seconds. It just keeps reverting back after I enter a longer time. Do you have verion 3? I was using an mpg file that was much longer than 4 seconds, probably 2-3 minutes.
            • 3. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
              In every version of the software, you have up to 30 seconds.

What happens if you try a different audio clip? Preferably an AVI or MP3?
              • 4. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                JoA41 Level 1
                Thank you for trying to help! I have used a variety of mp3 files, with the same result. The length of the audio keeps reverting to 4:02 or lower but will go no higher. When I try to set using the little arrows that come up, it will go up to 4:02 seconds and then it starts going down to 00 seconds. I just tried a repair of the installation and that did not change the result. I am trying out version 7 on a different computer, and it seems to work correctly, but I'm not sure I want to purchase a new version just to get this working. Do you think an entirely new installation would help? I have found that unininstalling apps many times does not help because many registration problems are not eliminated with an uninstall. I will try to find a different sound format to see if the same thing happens.
                • 5. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                  Try one more thing.

Use a different menu template and see if you get the same results.

I'm not sure what's triggering this.
                  • 6. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    JoRene,

I have found that MP3's can cause problems. Some work perfectly, and some, though they seem to have all the same characteristics, do not.

Try using a WAV file, as a test. As Steve suggests, you can have up to 30 sec. of Audio for the Menus in PE. Maybe get the freeware Audio editor, Audacity, and Import your MP3 (look at its Duration carefully), then Save_As .WAV. Choose 48KHz 16-bit. Import that .WAV into PE and see if it works better. Note: do check to see what Audacity says the Duration is. I'd also edit it to 30 sec. with a fade-in/fade-out, for this test.

I would suspect that it is a problem with the files, and not the installation, though stranger things have happened.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                      JoA41 Level 1
                      I was just going to reply that I thought it was related to the template I was using. I tried a couple other templates and they worked ok, but when I used the "blinking lights" Christmas template, which has sound with it, I get the results I wrote about. Could the template be corrupted or do you think everyone would have this problem using this template? The reinstall didn't change things, but I don't know if the reinstall also reinstalls the templates. If you have this version, could you (or someone else) check to see if they can set the audio time longer than 4:02 seconds for the "blinking lights" template under Holidays. Thanks so much!
                      • 8. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                        I tested it in version 7's Blinking Lights template and, as you say, it won't go beyond 4;02 seconds!

So it does seem to be related to the template itself.

This seems to be related to length of the blinking lights loop (an SWF file). Since it's only about 4 seconds long, apparently the audio can't exceed it.

Sorry. I don't see a solution, short of building your own similar, 30-second flashing lights loop.
                        • 9. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Interesting. I wonder if one could extend the SWF in Flash and get different results. When I get a moment, I'll give it a go and see what happens. I wonder if PE will still work with the Assets, if I keep the same file names, and just alter the SWF's?

I notice that there is another Template, Celebration with a "(V)" in the folder name. It has SWF files, so is possibly in the same "boat."

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                            You have the solution Steve. The audio length is limited by the animation length or 30 seconds, whichever comes first. So you need to build your own SWF video and substitute it.

The question is now, if you don't have Adobe Flash or maybe Adobe Photoshop CS3 or CS4 (?), what is the cheapeast way to create a new SWF that is 30 seconds using the existing 4 second SWF. You'll want something that will maintain transparency, but in this case it doesn't look like the blinking lights have transparency.

In the past I have exported SWF from Premiere Elements to Tiff format (with transparency), then converted the Tiff format to PNG format (with transparency) with IrfanView (free), then used the PNG images in GIF Movie Gear 4 ($29.95 USD), which also creates SWF files with transparency. http://www.gamani.com/

I'm not sure if Premiere Elements 3.0 will import SWF format, but PRE 7 does.
                            • 11. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                              JoA41 Level 1
                              Yes, I found other templates that seem to have preset audio lengths that can't be changed. One didn't even have audio present, but it wouldn't extend longer than 14 seconds, which seemed to be the default. I can't remember which one it was right now, but possibly not the Celebration one you mentioned. I'm not really sure what SWF is and don't think I have what is needed to change it (nor the patience to go through all the steps Robert mentioned.) I'll just have to select a template without the restrictions when I want music in my menu. A 4 second loop just won't work. But thanks for all the suggestions and help. At least I know the program itself isn't at fault.
                              • 12. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                                Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                                Do you mind if the lights don't blink? If not, you can add your initials to the end of the 4 files that have the .swf file extension in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\DVD Templates\Holidays and Events\(V) Blinking Lights

Here's one of the files:

Before you rename it:
                                blinking_lights_pal_s_mm_bg.swf

After you rename it:
                                blinking_lights_pal_s_mm_bg.swf.JA

Do the same with the three other files that end with .swf.

It seems that PRE will ignore the fact that those files don't exist when you add the blinking lights menu to your project. The design is such that the lights will always be on if the SWF files are missing.

You will have to reset the menu when you go back into Premiere Elements and load your project. During loading, if PRE asks you where the blinking lights file is located, just click Skip. You renamed it and it can't find it, which is what we want.

After the project is loaded, go to the DVD Menu design window and
                                click the Auto-Play button that's just above the Preview button. That will clear off the menu you had. Then select the Blinking Lights menu again. The lights will always be on, but you can have up to 30 second of music.

I created a DVD doing this and it worked.
                                • 13. Re: Adding music to a menu in version 3
                                  JoA41 Level 1
                                  Thanks so much for helping with this. This forum is the greatest.