6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 11:47 AM by M K B

Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD

M K B Level 1
      Hello,
      I used to import media directly from DVDs recorded using my Philips DVD Recorder (standalone, not drive). The Philips went Kaput and I bought a Panasonic. I then discovered that Premiere Elements will not work with discs recorded on the Panasonic. My friend has a LiteOn DVD recorder and will trade with me if I want to. Does anyone know if Premiere Elements will import from DVDs recorded using LiteOn?
      Thanks,
      Mike
        • 1. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
          PeterFDuke Level 1
          The machine should not make any difference. Are you sure that the discs from your Panasonic have been finalized?
          • 2. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
            M K B Level 1
            Hi Peter,
            Yes, I made sure of that.

It will import the video, but the lower half of the picture is just neon green, like a green screen.

Thanks,
            Mike
            • 3. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
              Level 1
              <Peter_Duke@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b76cee.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br />> The machine should not make any difference.<br /><br />We wish!<br /><br />VOBs appear to be like AVIs in that they work like "container files". <br />Either that, or there are a jillion dialects of MPEG2. Probably, the latter.<br /><br />Bottom line is that APE seems to be getting better and better at <br />interpreting VOBs, but it is still far from perfect. And of course, no two <br />DVD recorders seem to want to make the  identical same VOBs. I suspect it is <br />a chipset thing.<br /><br />When APE either won't import a VOB, or does so and crashes, or does so but <br />the results are umm questionable*, my solution is to convert the VOB to a <br />DV-AVI with Super! and get on with it.<br /><br />* a common situation that I run into is that APE imports the VOB, and <br />everything looks and works great, but the audio and the video slowly move <br />out of synch. Or the imported VOB is just a little short. Or subtle but <br />potentially critical things like that.
              • 4. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
                M K B Level 1
                Hi Amy,
                Thanks very much for the reply. I have downloaded Super! and will try a conversion now.
                Mike
                • 5. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  (actually, I think his name is Arny. The "r" and the "n" sort of blur together.)
                  • 6. Re: Rip From LiteOn Recorded DVD
                    M K B Level 1
                    Steve,
                    Thanks -right you are!

Sorry, Arny and thanks again!

Mike