13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 8:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4

Until yesterday, I had been creating DVDs from my camcorder without issue. Now, PE4 gets through 99% of the burning process before the disk ejects with the above error message.

It seems the content makes it onto the disk, but the data can not be read by a DVD player. I'm not sure if the error is pointing to the drive, the disk or something else. My system specs are:

-- Preimiere Elements 4 (it was a combo pack with Photoshop 6)
      -- Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
      -- HP m8330f
      -- AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.2 GHz
      -- 3.0 GB RAM
      -- TSST corp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom Device

I wouldn't think this issue is because of a system limitation or bad equipment. The only think I did between my last succsessful burn and now was installing Photoshop 6.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Are you able to burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive?
          • 2. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
            Level 1
            Yes; and I just realized the disk looks finished (complete with menus) on the computer that burned it, but it can not be read by DVD players or other computers.
            • 3. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
              What brand of DVD disc are you using?

Cheaper brands can be problematic. Memorex can be downright trashy.

And can you explain what you mean by: "the disk looks finished (complete with menus) on the computer that burned it, but it can not be read by DVD players or other computers."

Have you burned the disk? With what program? (Some burning programs, like Nero, need to be set to burn a playable rather than data disc.)
              • 4. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                Sense Code Errors are almost always due to poor media.
                Did you change the type of discs you have been using?
                • 5. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Besides poor media, as Chuck mentions, SenseCode errors show a problem with the drive, its connection, its controller or with the media itself. If a change of media (I recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, but others also like TDK) does not change the situation, then explore the drive, the connections and the controller. If you can burn with other applications, then it is most likely the media used.

Good luck,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                    Level 1
                    All,

The media is TDK DVD +R. It is a 50 pack and I have been using these DVD's for 30+ disks successful burns. Only these last few have presented the problem I described. Also, I wonder if it is a drive issue since the disk looks finished (complete with menus) on the computer that burned it, but it can not be read by DVD players or other computers.

BTW: I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 4 to burn the disk.

Any ideas?
                    • 7. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Howlbait,

Let's try a test, that might answer some of the questions. Burn to a folder from PE4. Provided that all is OK, then download and install the little freeware program, ImgBurn. Try using it to Burn the DVD, using the TDK's. Does this work? If so, then we can step back and see what might be amiss with PE4, plus you then have a workaround, until you can sort out PE4. If not, then it points to a drive, cable or connection issue, or something gone pear-shaped at the OS level.

Let us know how this test works out and good luck,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                        Level 1
                        Hunt,

The folder burn and then image burn to DVD worked! Now it is just a question of why PE4 can't burn to the disk directly.

Howlbait
                        • 9. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Howlbait,

Good with the test! This shows that PE can do a Burn, just not to the burner. It also shows that the burner is capable and works, though could still be on the edge of failing.

This points me toward something else getting in the way of your Burn to DVD from PE.

Adobe's programs, that Burn directly to DVD (Elements, PP up to versions 2 and Encore), need 100% control of the physical burner. Programs like Nero and Roxio will install "packet-writing" sub-applications (InCD and DLA, in those above cases), if one does not do a custom install. These sub-apps will seize control of the burner(s) and NOT turn them loose for Adobe.

If you have either of these programs, chances are good that their packet-writing sub-app is installed, and keeping Adobe from seeing the burner. This most often manifests itself with a "Burner Not Found" error message. That's the reason that others (and I) mentioned problems with the media, or with the physical burner, or its connection. You got the "SenseCode" error, not the "Burner Not Found." Because of this, your case is unusual.

I'd next to to Control Panel>System>Device Manager and scroll down to CD/DVD drives. Check out your drive there, and see what Windows says about your burner. Write down the version of firmware that it has installed. If all of this is good there, I'd see if there was a firmware update for the burner.

Often, when an OS updates, whether automatically or via user instructions, the updated OS reveals problems with burner firmware - same for audio drivers. What this means is that one day, a burner will work perfectly. Then, the OS updates and you get problems. First, check your burner mfgr's Web site for the current firmware version. Device Manager should tell you the firmware you currently have.

If this does not help, someone else will have to chime in, as I will have emptied my bag-o-tricks.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                            I'm also experiencing this exact issue with PE 7 - very frustrating.

Was there any final resolution?

Thanks.
                            • 11. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                              As was discussed in the thread, this is usually related to either poor quality discs or your computer's configuration. DVD burn programs, like Nero, often prohibit Premiere Elements from allowing you to burn directly to the disc.

99% of the time, you can still burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive and then use your computer's DVD burner software to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD disc.

And use high quality disc, like Verbatim, rather than a cheaper store brand or Memorex.
                              • 12. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                                Level 1
                                Thanks for the reply.

Wow - I purchased two other brands of DVDs and it appears I can once again burn from PE7. The reply from PE7 is that the burn was completed which is not what I was receiving with the other DVD manufacturer.

Summary:
                                10 pack of TDK -R DVDs
                                - 1st DVD burned from PE7 and was playable on std DVD player connected to a TV
                                - 2nd thru 10 DVDs. Burn with PE7 would not complete (got error message identical to this thread topic). I could burn from ImgBurn but not playable on std DVD player connected to TV (but they could be read from PC)

25 pack of Sony DVD +RW DVDs
                                - 1st DVD burned from PE7 as normal

1 pack of Philips DVD +R
                                - the DVD burned from PE 7 as normal

I'll have to verify at home later if these two DVDs are playable on std DVD connected to a TV (the main reason I purchased PE7 in the first place). I'm assuming all is well with the successful burn. If I don't reply back assume all went well.

Thanks for the advice (still stunned that the DVD vendor makes this much of a difference).
                                • 13. Re: Device Error - Sense Code(3 73 04) with PE4
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  At one time, TDK's were really good discs. Reports have been coming in, however, that they have adopted the Memorex "business model," of buying discs from the cheapest mfgr. and then re-branding them. It is not uncommon with Memorex to have 3 different actual brands of discs in the same 100 disc spindle. Similar now for TDK.

The three mfgrs. who are still getting highest marks are:

Taiyo Yuden (commonly referred to as "TY's" on most fora)
                                  Verbatim
                                  Falcon (only sold in the US)

Yes, the disc matters and matters greatly for first, burn capability and then for playability on set-top players.

For playability, always burn at the slowest possible speed. Keep the bit-rate for combined Audio & Video below about 7.9 bps (including peaks), and use the best media possible. Remember, no set-top player is required to play ANY burned DVD. Most do, but some just do not. Also, there CAN be issues with media type, i.e. DVD-R & +R, but these issues seem to be a thing of the past. Still, incompatibilities can crop up, especially with older set-top players.

One tip: I always burn a "test" DVD onto DVD RW, and play it on the four different set-tops, plus my computer, just to check. This cuts down on "coasters." Do not use DVD RW's for distribution, but only as a "test." One 5-pack has lasted me for several years. I just erase (do not reformat), and do the test burn and test play.

Good luck,

Hunt