9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 5:55 PM by (John_Plachtyna)

use usb drive as default working directory

How do I set premier to use the USB drive, or a folder on it, say F:\videos instead of the c drive for all of the working files and saving my videos. I do not want to have to browse to F:\videos or switch to F:\videos every time I am in premier.

Thanks,
      John
        • 1. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          By default, the program will direct all its working and capture files to the same location as the project file. So save your project file to your F drive when you first create it.

But be sure to create a separate folder on your F drive for each project. This bit of housekeeping can make sorting through your files, and cleaning up when you're done, much easier.
          • 2. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
            New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
            You will also want to go into Edit/Preferences from the main menu and check the Scratch Disk locations, they should all be set to 'Same As Project', that way where ever you put your project all of the project files will go there as well.

Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more....
            http://muvipix.com
            • 3. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              John,

Two thoughts on using a USB external:

1.) it will be slow. I use FW-800 externals, setup as Steve & Chuck recommend. Try the USB, but be prepared for slow playback and also slowdowns as you edit. I used USB once, and swore never again.

2.) set up the drive letter in your OS, so that it is always, say F:\. This must be done in the OS, since you might have other drives (thumb, flash, etc.) that would automatically get that drive letter, unless you set it in the OS. If you move your USB external between machines, you will want to set it up as the same drive letter in the OS of all other machines. If you have multiple machines, check to see available drive letters and choose one of these. I have 4 2TB FW-800 externals that are set to W, X Y & Z in the OS of all three machines. Everytime I plug one of these in, it is ALWAYS the same drive letter.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                Level 1
                Thanks Guys for the prompt reply. I have seen in past posts recommendations to use an external hard drive for both storage as well as working on projects. Is it everyone's experience that it would be slow to use this setup? I want to connect a 1 Terabyte hard drive. My current drive is 160GB. My processor edits PE4 fine but I am using up space. Thanks, John
                • 5. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                  A USB2-connected drive should be easily fast enough to edit to, John, assuming it's properly formatted to NTFS (drives are FAT32 by default) and properly set up.
                  • 6. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                    Level 1
                    Thanks Steve, I connected the external drive and transferred about 10 five min. videos. I then deleted them from the main computer. To open one of these videos now in PE4 takes about 2-3 min. Is this because it's now coming into the program over USB. I'm not complaining about the time but does this sound correct? Thanks, John
                    • 7. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                      Is your new drive properly optimized and formatted NTFS? And, as I said, make sure it's USB2. Standard USB may not be quite fast enough. And, for best performance, make sure you're not going through a hub and you're not hooked into a USB card with other things plugged into it.

And how long are the video clips on that external drive? They should open nearly as fast as if they were on your C drive.
                      • 8. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        John,

Your expreineces are similar to what I had with Pinnacle S-9.4.3 on an older Toshiba laptop with USB externals. I grew very tired of waiting for everything, and added a FW-400, dual chip controller card, and made the connections that way. Things got much better.

With the new laptop, Premiere and FW-800, dual chip controller, it edits about as quickly as from my SATA II HDD's. Tiny bit of lag, but you'd need a stopwatch to measure it.

After a month of USB 2 HDD's, I gave up completely. Luckily, my Maxtor externals were dual connection, so they worked fine with the FW-400 connection. I did find that I got about a 10% boost, by going with the dual chip controller card, vs hooking a couple of drives in a dasiy-chain with just the FW connection on the computer.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: use usb drive as default working directory
                          Level 1
                          Thanks Guys for the help, As it turns out, my external drive is formatted NTFS and USB2. The projects I archived are between 6 - 12 min each. To open them in PE4 for the 1st time takes probably 5 min. After that, to open repeatedly again is as fast as the C drive. This seems to serve my purposes well. John