12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 11:42 AM by New Improved Chuck Engels

Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography

I am currently a user of Pinnacle studio 12. I do wedding videography part time and find it fairly easy to edit a wedding shot with two camcorders. I place video from the main camcorder on the main track and video from the second camcorder on the overlay track. I do pip with the overlay so I can watch video from both tracks at the same time. If I don't like what is on the overlay I make it 100% transparent or delete it(if I don't need the audio).
      Are their any PE 7 users that are also Pinnacle users or that edit weddings with PE 7. How do the programs compare? Are they equally easy to work with? Which one produces the sharpest video to DVD?

thanks
        • 1. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Studio has a bit simpler and more intuitive of an interface.

But Premiere Elements offers much more depth and a large number of professional style features, including up to 99 video and audio tracks, a more powerful motion path tool and more file management tools.

But how much that matters to you and which environment you work best in is a personal decision. I'd recommend downloading the trial and doing a test drive.
          • 2. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
            New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
            I do 50+ wedding edits a year, SD and HDV. I do 90% of all work in Premiere Elements and then author in Encore DVD. The only limitations to doing weddings in Premiere Elements are the DVD authoring features.

I do use Premiere Pro on occasion, generally for HDV and especially if there are more than 2 cameras.

There are many semi pro videographers over at our site, stop by and ask them. There are lots of ex Pinnacle users too
            http://muvipix.com
            • 3. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
              Level 1
              Hi Chuck

Why don't you use premiere pro all the time. I assume you mean CS3 or CS4. I work at a university and could get pro at a great price but to be honest I am afraid of it. I am not the fastest gun the west when it comes to learning computer programs. That is why I have stuck with Pinnacle studio. However, I would like more power and Adobe always has lots of teaching aids.

Dave
              • 4. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                I have CS3 and purchased it primarily for Encore DVD. I use Encore for all of my DVD authoring but don't need most of what Premiere Pro has. Premiere Elements provides me with all of the editing tools, transitions and effects that I need to do very nice wedding videos.

I have spent years learning all of the features, and ins and outs, of Premiere Elements making that the tool of choice for me. Although the move from Elements to Pro is fairly easy, there are still many things to learn in a new program. I just don't have the time.

If I actually had, or took, the time to learn all of the features and functions of Premiere Pro I would probably switch completely. But then I wouldn't be around to help folks here and at Muvipix that are using Elements :)
                • 5. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                  Level 1
                  Another question Chuck

I have no problem with Studio 12 doing 70-80 min projects. Most Catholic weddings are that long. However, I have heard that PE bogs down with long projects. Some suggest doing long projects in segments of 10min with PE. This sounds like a pain.
                  What is your experience? I have a 3.2GHZ computer with 2Gig ram.

thanks,
                  • 6. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                    It will be a little slow and you might have some serious problems trying to do the whole wedding in a single project.

I was editing on a Intel P4 3.0 Ghz with HT and 2.25 GB of RAM.
                    With version 3 it got to be real hard to edit very quickly, which I really needed to do. I couldn't really wait 2 or 3 minutes for the timeline to refresh or for 30 frames to render. The audio kept dropping out besides, it got to be a real pain.

I went to a dual, dual core 3.0 Xeon (so there are two dual core processors) and 4GB of RAM, a world of difference.

I still do some projects on my older machine but keep them short.
                    You can get away with creating multiple projects and then combining them into a Master at the end. Pre-Ceremony, Processional, Ceremony, Recessional, Post Ceremony (may be split into multiple projects also).

Premiere Pro is great because is has multiple Timelines, or Sequences as they are called, but that takes a lot of horsepower as well. You can do lots with Premiere Elements but it helps to have the machine that can handle it too.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      For this sort of Project, I agree with Chuck on Pro. It is designed to handle muli-camera, and many Sequences. Size is not an object there. In PP2, I've edited many DVD-9 Projects with hundreds of full Assets, and thousands of Clips. Other than the time to load the Project (Adobe NLE's have to verify all Links), everything worked beautifully. Think of a 4 hour Project, with a 500 image Slideshow, and hundreds of multi-Track "dream sequences."

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                        Ed.Macke Level 3
                        David,

I've used PE of various versions to do projects of 1 hr length (2.8 GHz / 2GB RAM / 2x500GB HD) One project was even 2 hours.

However, even if I *could* do a project that long, I now purposefully choose not to. I will do a project of 5-10 minutes, export the result to .AVI, and when I'm completely finished, create a final project that incorporates all of the finished .AVIs and creates a DVD menu. (I didn't come up with this workflow, it was advice I followed here on the boards).

Rather than being a pain, I find several advantages:
                        1) The biggest is that if your project ever becomes corrupted (or deleted or whatever), you lose 10 minutes of video and how much ever time it took to create it - not your entire thing. Basically, you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.
                        2) I find it easier to deal with smaller projects - working with a 5 minute timeline is much easier than a 1-hour timeline
                        3) It's somehow mentally satisfying to complete a section, mark it as "done", and move on.
                        4) The intermediate AVIs act sort-of as a backup of the original footage. I think Project Archive accomplishes the same thing, but this way it's backed-up as you go rather than after you're finished. Of course, my entire machine is backed up, too, so it's just extra protection.
                        5) For me, the DVD menu function has always been the flakiest part of PE (followed by the Titler). If the DVD project gets hosed, it's brain-dead simple to re-create - I just pull in all my AVIs and start over.
                        6) And, yes, it's easier on machine resources.

So, bottom line, now that I have my "5-Minute Workflow", I've really come to like it and wouldn't do an hour project. For me, it's not a pain, it really works well. My 2 cents.
                        • 9. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                          Chuck,

Exactly what are "DVD authoring features" ?

Cliff
                          • 10. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                            >Exactly what are "DVD authoring features" ?

1. The ability to set the burn speed when burning the DVD

2. The ability to pass DVD templates back and forth between EncoreDVD and Photoshop Elements (or Pro) for editing.

3. The ability to have sub menus or any type of menu structure I would like.

4. The ability to use Playlists and Chapter Playlists

The list goes on and on, there are lots of things that Premiere Elements doesn't do when it comes to DVD Authoring ;)
                            • 11. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                              Level 1
                              Is crashing and freezing with elements a problem with the way the software is written or due to a slow computer?
                              Is premiere pro more stable? Would pro be a bear to lean for someone like me who isn't the fastest gun in the west learning computer programs?

Dave
                              • 12. Re: Adobe premiere elements for 2 camera wedding videography
                                Chances are if you have problems with Elements you will have the same problems with Pro.

Updating your systems drivers are very important, having the most recent version of Quicktime is also important. There are lots of reasons why the program can crash, what are you doing when it crashes?

If your system isn't up to the task that can cause errors and crashes as well, along with the type of video you are editing. Listing all of your system specs would help.