4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 1:20 PM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 7 crashes

Edwin M Level 1
      I use a 500GB HD Windows XP machine with 3 GB RAM and tons of MT space. Installing PreElements7 took several hours, but I maded the mistake of choosing "complete," with tons of NTSC and PAL outdoor weddings and similar clips taking minutes each. Anyway, it installed fine, but keeps crashing when I save a project, with unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurring at 0x78138a8c.

Finally, I dont understand the PShopEle6 catalog it imported which contains 15,000 still images. How does one select tags in the Premiere import? How does it keep its catalog up-to-date, or does one have to do it independently of the catalog in PShopElements?
        • 1. Re: Elements 7 crashes
          New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
          What are your computer specs? The fact that it took several hours to install is not right. It maybe took 10 minutes on my machine to install everything.
          • 2. Re: Elements 7 crashes
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            Installation of Premiere Elements shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes max for a full installation. If it's taking your hours to do, I can't imagine that things are behaving as they should.

I'm assuming your processor and RAM load is well within spec (at least a 3 ghz Pentium 4) and that your 500 gig hard drive, if it's your C drive, is properly set up, optimized and formatted.

Is your operating system updated to SP3 and have you installed the latest firmware, RealTek drivers and Quicktime, per the FAQs at the top of this forum?
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647/2

When did you last tune up your system?
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

And do you really have 15,000 photos?! How full is that hard drive?
            • 3. Re: Elements 7 crashes
              Edwin M Level 1
              Hi Steve You have some impressive pages about computer health! As far as I can see I meet all specs and tuneup requirements - actually have 956 GB usable, 597 GB free space. I have many programs, all of which run well, including Adobe Acro 8, Photoshop CS2, PSE6, etc. I had Premiere El 3 which did not open, and which I deleted after installing PreEl7. Yes, I do have 15,000 pictures, but they are all .jpg's and if they are not for enlarging, I reduce them to 1200x800 or so, ample for records. But with all this, it did take 4 hours to install PreEl7. Perhaps I should uninstall it, and re-install not "Complete" but "Custom" since I do not need the Outdoor Wedding and other clips, which are the ones that took 4 hours, one after the other, first Outdoor, then Indoor, then Spy, then Child, then everything in PAL as well - a lot of unnecessary stuff.

Edwin M
              • 4. Re: Elements 7 crashes
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                The extra clips are just for practicing with. They won't take up much space or time. And most of the extra parts are templates for titles, DVD menus, InstantMovies, etc., so you probably want those. (And you've got plenty of room for them.)

So I'd tune up the computer, as recommended above, uninstall and reinstall.

Assuming you've got a reasonably fast computer (and any computer over 3 ghz Pentium is plenty fast to run this program, unless you're editing hi-def video), installation shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so.

If it's really taking over half an hour to install, I'd definitely try to figure out what was up with my computer.