5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 7:29 AM by (Stein_Tan)

Difference between miniDV and AVCHD editing

Hi.

My main question here is that when I'm applying the slow motion effects on footages captured using my new flash-based camcorder, the video appears jerky. [Footages without slow motion appears clear]. Some background info below:

I've been using Premier Elements 4 and recently version 7 to do all my video editing work. My old videocam used miniDV tapes and when working with these footages I can simply download the footages using Premier Elements using the PAL-DV project settings. I can work on the footages adding effects such as slow motion and the final DVD appears clear, smooth and fine.

HOWEVER, I recently bought the new Canon HF11. When working with these footages, I select the PAL-AVCHD project settings. Almost all the final footages (output to DVD) appears very clear and smooth with the exception of the footages in slow motion - it appears very jerky.

I thought that the jerkyness is caused when you choose the wrong project setting (ie. upper vs lower field first) - by choosing the PAL-AVCHD project setting, I would've thought that it should be fine.

The way I'm able to get around this is to deinterlace the footages with the slow motion effect. My question is why do I need to deinterlace the footages when working with AVCHD, considering that I do not have to do this when working with footages from miniDV tapes? Am I doing something wrong or is this how AVCHD works (ie. have to de-interlace slow motion footages?)

Just trying to understand how this whole AVCHD format works, etc. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
      Stein