3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 1:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Play back of imported cds in timeline and dvd burning preview

martinlindsay
      How to import music from CD's to Premiere

Wonder if I can join the conversation.

I have been using PE 2 but it recently crashed terminally and I have installed PE 7. I wanted to finish a video I had been editing in PE2. I opened it successfully in PE 7. It contains some tracks I downloaded from my own CDS. When i burnt a previous edition in PE2 the soundtrack was ok (incidentally the soundtrack is the same it's just I needed to edit some video clips) It was also ok when I tried burning in the trial version of PE7. However, the sound won't play in the timeline or preview of the DVD in my new full version of PE7. I can however preview the individual tracks on their own. I tried "adding media" again but this didn't work.

IN summary this should work as they were ok on previous versions including PE7. Any idea what I can do to make the sound play so I can burn the dvd with sound?

Kind Regards

Erika
        • 1. Re: Play back of imported cds in timeline and dvd burning preview
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          How did you "download" the music from the CDs? What program and process did you use? Have you ripped the music files to your hard drive?
          • 2. Re: Play back of imported cds in timeline and dvd burning preview
            martinlindsay Level 1
            Thanks for your reply and for getting back to me so quickly. I ripped them via realplayer. I use Real player as I have found Windows media and Itunes encode the cds and prevent Adobe from importing them- I know that some companies eg EMI automatically encode the cds to limit copying. However I do not attempte to use such cds.The cds I use for my videos are older and I have imported them satisfactorily on other projects via PE2.

I do save them to my hard drive and then import them via "add media" on PE. I couldn't see any other way of doing this. I am mystified as to why on PE 7 the audio tracks play in audio preview in my project but not on the timeline or dvd preview.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Erika LIndsay
            • 3. Re: Play back of imported cds in timeline and dvd burning preview
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Erika,

I have not had Real Player in years, and never used it for ripping CD's. What format does it rip to? Do you have the option of ripping to PCM/WAV? If so, I'd choose WAV and also if possible, set the sample rate to 48KHz @ 16-bit depth.

If Real Player does not allow this, you might want to look at the freeware, Audacity.

I use Adobe Audition for all of this, so I do not know the capabilities and limitations of many other programs - hence my questions.

Hunt