15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 1:17 PM by the_wine_snob

CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4

I am running Vista Premium. I have tried installing Premier 4 several times. It reaches the end of the installation and fails, backs up the install, and says "installation was interrupted, try again later".
      I have disabled all the security I could think that might be interfering...Ideas on how to get this on my machine?
        • 1. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you ensured that Vista is updated to SP1 and that your firmware, RealTek drivers and Quicktime are up to date?
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647/2

Have performed a full maintenance workout on your computer to get rid of temp and junk files?
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a
          • 2. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
            Level 1
            i just purchased this computer a week ago...its an hp m9500f...8GB RAM...Quad Cores at 2.4 Ghz...64 bit...vista prem with SP1 installed...685.5GB on my C drive and 931.51GB on my external taro drive Im loading to..i have all realteks up to date..no quicktime
            • 3. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
              Level 1
              i installed quicktime..no dice...still the same problem...wizard has been interrupted and the installation has rolled back..try again..
              • 4. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Robert,

Did I read correctly, that you are installing to your external? Depending on several things, such as the connection, this could well be the problem.

Also, Vista-64 is not certified for PE4, IIRC.

Can you install to your C:\?

Hunt
                • 5. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                  You definitely must install Premiere Elements to your C drive. It won't work otherwise. And, as Hunt says, there are no guarantees with version 4 on a 64-bit operating system. It will probably work, but it may not.

And, especially if your computer is brand new, you want to update it and run full maintenance on it. The initial launching of an operating system leaves a terrible mess -- not to mention loads of bloatware.
                  • 6. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                    New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                    It is my recollection that there were issues with burning DVDs and exporting from a 64 bit system running version 4 8/
                    • 7. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                      Also, a patch was released for Vista support of PRE4. It is available on teh Adobe website. have to tried running the patch on your system?
                      • 8. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                        There's a Vista patch for version 3, Daffy. I don't think there was any patch released for version 4.
                        • 9. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          All Adobe updates start at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ the select your product
                          • 10. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                            Level 1
                            You are right Grisetti, I guess I just got confused between version 3 and 4.
                            • 11. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Robert,

One more thought on your installation being "interrupted:"

Many externals have software and ancillary drivers, that access the drive on a continual basis. Maxtor's One Touch is one. Also, Windows loves to Index HDDs (internal and external) and will lock files, while it indexes. Installations usually go so quickly, that the Windows Indexing doesn't have time to get in the way, but it *can* mess you up, while editing. I always turn it off for all HDDs on my system at the OS level. Searches are a tiny bit slower, but that is all.

Still,
                              b IF
                              you were attempting to install on an external, try again, and locate PE onto your C:\, as Steve suggests. It does not need to be in the default location, but on the C:\. I have all of my Adobe programs in C:\Adobe, and not the C:\Program Files\Adobe folder. Saves me having to "drill down" one more folder level, and all of my Adobe programs are right there in front of me.

Good luck,

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                                I have the same problem with Premier elements 4. I am using XP SP3 Pentium D 3.GHz 3GB ram 150 GB free space on C: drive. I tried to install as Admin in safe mode as well, said my admin settings forbid installation. I have no idea what this setting might be. I have made sure that the Flex license service was on auto. I have not tried anything more drastic. I am stumped.
                                • 13. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                                  Level 1
                                  I run Win XP SP3 on a Dell XPS; Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 3GB Dram, 150 GB free defragmented HD. Zone Alarm Firewall/AV. I bought Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4 bundle. Photoshop installs fine. Premier installs then rolls back with a "Wizard Interrupted error" I have tried installing in safemode, I tried rolling back to SP2. I tried disabling all start up programs, I tried different versions of MS Windows Installer, I tried enabling and disabling services; no luck. I downloaded Premier Elements 7 Trial and it runs fine. I install Premier Elements 4 after this and it still rolls back and refuses to install. Any help?
                                  • 14. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                                    This is a strange problem, and probably one we won't be able to solve here on this forum, assuming you've followed the instructions in my first post and still haven't gotten it to work.

Unfortunately, Adobe Tech Support no longer supports version 4. So it's going to take someone with this problem figuring out a solution that's our only hope.
                                    • 15. Re: CAN'T INSTALL PREMIER 4
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      JP,

You've pretty much emptied my bag-o-tricks on the table and used them all to no avail. One last thing that you can try is to copy the full contents of the installation disc to a temp folder. I'd drag the executable to the Desktop, but you could launch via My Computer/Windows Explorer. For the next step, I'd go back to Safe Mode, and then launch the .EXE file and cross my fingers.

Other than that, I have no more ideas, as all the rest have failed for you.

Good luck,

Hunt