10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 2:26 PM by New Improved Chuck Engels

Creating a menu with >2 entries

I am using Premiere Elements 3. I am trying to create a DVD with a few separate videos, so I created 5 main menu markers (and 4 stop markers)... when I use the various templates, though, I get 3-5 pages with 1-2 links each. Is there a way to consolidate all main menu marker links on the same page?
        • 1. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It depends on which template you use.

Templates can have as many six scene menu markers on them. If the template you choose has less places for menus than you do markers, it will automatically create enough pages to accommodate them.
          • 2. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
            Level 1
            Thanks, but I thought I should use "main menu markers" + "stop markers".
            Not sure how I can do it otherwise...

Option 1: use scene markers, no stop markers. I will get a "play movie" (which goes to the all the videos sequentially) and a "scene selection", which in turn will play the videos in a strange way... say I have a xmas, a recital, and a trip. If you choose xmas you get all videos, recital will play recital and trip, while trip will be the trip alone.

Option 2: use scene markers, with stop markers at end of each video. I will get a "play movie" on the main menu, which actually plays only the first video and a "scene selection", which in turn will play the videos in the right way (i.e., each selection will be played separately, going back to the main menu afterwards)

Can I have more than 2 main menu marker links on the same main menu?!? There is definitely space (scene menus have up to 6 links!)
            • 3. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
              Yes. If you have a menu template with more than two main menu marker links on it.

As I said, it depends on what template you use.
              • 4. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                Steve's Tip on using DVD Markers might come in handy :)
                http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/archive.htm

There is also an updated version at http://muvipix.com I believe.
                • 5. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                  Also, if you want all of your scene links to be on your main menu, there's a hack you can use.

Find a template that has as many scene links as you need on its scene menu. Then locate the template files (They're PSDs) in PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS 7/DVD TEMPLATES/[Category]/[Template]

The names of the scene menu templates and main menu templates are identical except on is named "sm" and the other is named "mm". Rename the sm as mm and the mm as sm. Then, when you launch Premiere Elements and open the template, the scene menu will become the main menu and vice versa.

The articles Chuck references offer more details on customizing your menus.
                  • 6. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                    A.T. Romano Level 7
                    SG

I need for you to check something out for me.

Given (just as an example): If you take the Premiere Elements DVD Template, General Category/Generic One template, the original is designed for 6 Main Markers on each page of the Main Menu and 8 Scene Markers on each page of the Scene Selection Menu.

If you do as you suggested and JUST change the file name of the main menu from mmto sm and the name of the scene menu sm to mm, that works to get yourself a main menu with 8 instead of 6 thumbnails for the Main Menu, but there is going to be a problem with the Scene Menu because there is no link for it going in the right direction. What has become Scene Menu (.sm) is not going to show up in the Disc Menus strip under the Create Menus Monitor.

The user who posted this topic says that Main Menu + Scene Menu is the goal. If I have not messed this up, here are my thoughts for consideration for you and the user:

1. Use the General/Generic One DVD Template as is. It should accommodate the needs posted.
                    2. If not, open the .psd for the General/General One Main Menu ONLY and modify that in Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop) by adding more buttonseasy to duplicate existing ones and move the duplicated one into position, etc.
                    3. I would caution to work from copies (keep the originals safe) and make sure that you look at the template title to determine if you are modifying the one for standard or widescreen as well .mm for main menu and .sm for scene menu.

I tried this a few times in Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4 and that is the way it was. Please advise.
                    • 7. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                      Level 1
                      Thanks Steve and AT!
                      I actually did not want a scene menu (once I got 5 elements in my main menu), so Steve's idea worked great. And yes, I duplicated the whole directory, which elements then recognizes as a new template.
                      I had not realized there was a template with 6 elements... maybe it was not in elements 3.0 (I now switched to elements 4.0 that came with my laptop)

Thanks!

Stefano
                      • 8. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                        A.T. Romano Level 7
                        Stefano,

Glad that worked out for you. Sorry I misunderstood about your need for both the main menu and scene menu.

When you get a chance, do check out those DVD Menu Templates in Premiere Elements 4.0.

Continued success.
                        • 9. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                          Glad we came up with a simple solution that worked, guys!
                          • 10. Re: Creating a menu with >2 entries
                            New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                            There are also some free DVD Templates that, Steve has created, over at muvipix for versions 2 - 4. There will be a new version 7 template coming out later this month too :)