7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 3:00 PM by Barb__O

Organization Question

I am just getting started with Premiere Elements 7 and I have a few conceptual questions on organizing my videos.

I have been shooting family videos and now have about 15 DV tapes. I am thinking about replacing my camera but the new one may not be DV. SO i am going to import all of my tapes but my primary PC will does not have the space to hold it all so i was thinking about capturing the video locally then archiving it to my file server. Am I going to have issues with the organize tab with the missing videos and will it keep a record of the files when i move them to the server so when i bring them back to work on later i do not have to re import them? Do you have some suggestions on the best way to organize the tapes i import. As with pictures when i started it made since the way i did it but as i got more pictures and moved to Adobe i wish i would have do a few things differently.

Also is there any way to reduce the size of the files during the capture process? I am not sure that I will ever really need the AVI full quality.
        • 1. Re: Organization Question
          Barb__O Level 4
          James,

Do you have Photoshop Elements 7 also and if yes, do you plan to use the same catalog of video/photos for both premiere and photoshop elements?

If yes, then it might be better for you to post your question on the Photoshop Elements forum first because there has been some discussion on that forum about file servers and the PSE catalog. Now there may be some considerations that are specific to Premiere Elements, but since the background discussion and the experience with file servers and the PSE catalog exists on the PSE forum that is where I would start first if no one posts a specific Premiere Elements answer here in the next day.

PSE technical issues forum link is
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbb4ab0/
          • 2. Re: Organization Question
            VideoJohnny Level 1
            I never use the same catalog for PRE as I do with PSE. I don't want my re-sized photos and video clips tobe mixed with my PSE catalog. It is better to work with a separate catalog.

> Am I going to have issues with the organize tab with the missing videos and will it keep a record of the files when i move them to the server so when i bring them back to work on later i do not have to re import them?

You will have an issue whether you move them to a server or just delete them after you finish a video project. This is another reason why I use a separate catalog. As part of cleanup it is easy to delete the files from my video project file. So, just delete the video clips from you video file.

If you need them again later for a project, and want t hem in your catralog, just add them by selecting add new media. Even if the files are not in your Catalog, they will stillbe in your media bin, and need to be in the same place as they were when you were working on your PRE project.
            • 3. Re: Organization Question
              Ed.Macke Level 3
              I have a similar problem, and have a couple of thoughts:

1) Do you need to import all 15 tapes at once? If not you can import what you need, edit them, and delete them when you're done (see #2...)

2) PE has an "archive" function that might help. Let's say you import a 1-hour DV, and edit out 30 minutes. When you're done, you can "archive" your project, which will save your project and *only* the footage you actually used (e.g. 30 minutes of DV).

3) I'm sure others are about to pounce on the advice that if you're using PE you should plan on using DV and only DV. Seems like half the problems on the forum are due to using non-DV sources. If your new camera is not DV, you'll want to convert its output to DV before using PE.

I have about 15 years of video I'm currently trying to deal with (uh, not 15 years of actual footage, although sometimes it seems like that). I'd love to be able to import and archive it all, but frankly a lot of it is garbage so the "archive" function is a close 2nd. Maybe one day when 50 Terabyte drives are $199 at Costco...
              • 4. Re: Organization Question
                Barb__O Level 4
                >I never use the same catalog for PRE as I do with PSE. I don't want my re-sized photos and video clips tobe mixed with my PSE catalog. It is better to work with a separate catalog.

Johnny,
                I do agree with your recommendation for having a separate catalog for Premiere Elements video work.

However, if I want to use Elements to Tag and organize my video clips, then I think that I will want to keep my video clips in a Catalog (the separate catalog). Also I have been thinking of keeping my decreased resolution and cropped for video photo files in that same catalog.

Since the Premiere 7 Organizer has very limited functions, I anticipate that I will need to use some functions of Elements Catalog management from Photoshop Elements. One of those functions would be using the Organizer to move files from one physical location to another so that the Elements Catalog is updated to "know" the new location.

I will be moving from an internal hard drive to a USB (or eSATA) connected external drive whereas James post says that he will be moving to a file server. Based on what I have read on the PSE forum, I suspect that defining the File Server Path name for the Elements catalog references does have some considerations that are different than an external drive. It is this type of info that can be found on the PSE forum and I think is relevant if James will use PS Elements.

>Even if the files are not in your Catalog, they will still be in your media bin, and need to be in the same place as they were when you were working on your PRE project.

This is an excellent point.
                So far I can not identify any method for updating both the Elements Catalog and the Media Bin of the PRE project when I move the folder location of the video or photo file.

So I guess that I would need to use the prompt from Premiere Elements when I open that project again so that these files that had been moved can be located for the PRE project.

James,

My situation seems different but similar to yours : different because of your file server. However, I am still in the process of developing my personal procedures so please take my comments as "draft" material.
                • 5. Re: Organization Question
                  Barb__O Level 4
                  Ed,

I saw your post after submitting mine. I have not yet used the Archive function of Premiere Elements so I have a question on its use within the context of managing (tagging and tracking) my video clips.

Can I do anything with an archive, other then bring it back to a PRE project? For example, can I use a specific file within that archive?
                  • 6. Re: Organization Question
                    Ed.Macke Level 3
                    I'm certainly not an expert, but here's how I believe it works:

It saves the project file (PREL) as-is
                    It saves all still images as-is
                    It saves all audio clips as-is
                    It saves only the video you used in your project (plus I believe a little tacked on to the beginning and end).

So, for example, if I had an hour long AVI as my source, but actually only used minutes 5-9 and minute 30, it would save my PREL file, a 5+ minute AVI (minutes 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, plus a little extra on each end), a 1 minute AVI (minute 30).

You could then delete the original hour-long AVI. At some later point, you could open the project and it would have everything it needs. If for some reason you couldn't open the project, you could still import the AVIs into a new project.

Some caveats:
                    I only use AVI input, so I'm not sure if you use, for example, MPEG input, whether the archive function saves your used video as MGEG or AVI.
                    The archive function also has an option to "save everything".

I think the help file explains this better than I can. Also, it's fairly easy to try out for yourself: archiving will just create an archived version of the project in the folder you specify... you can then look in that folder, try opening that archived project, create a new project using the saved AVIs, etc. There's nothing to lose, since your original project is untouched (in other words, the archive function just creates the archive - it's up to you to manually delete the original).
                    • 7. Re: Organization Question
                      Barb__O Level 4
                      >Also, it's fairly easy to try out for yourself: archiving will just create an archived version of the project in the folder you specify... you can then look in that folder, try opening that archived project, create a new project using the saved AVIs, etc

Thanks Ed - I had not realized that the Archive gave me files in a format that I could use.