6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 7:54 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)

Last few days I tried a number of solutions suggested on your website including reinstalling Adobe but I still can not access my pro
      jects. Adobe does not even open for New Projects. It tells me that a serious error has occured and that it will shut down and try to
      save my project. It no longer asks me to save the project under a new name, it just shuts itself down. I have several versions of t
      he same project saved at various stages. The project has video clips, a couple of photos, music, narration, titles and transitions a
      nd goes for 1h10m. Another project of just photos with titles, music and transitions is only a few minutes in length but still does
      not open.
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Without more information about your hardware, operating system, amount of space on your hard drive, source files and how well maintained your system is, it's impossible to help you, Iwona.

It would also help to know if this is a recent development or if this program has never worked for you.

Meantime, you should at least try uninstalling and then reinstalling the program.

Also make sure your system is up to date and well maintained and that you have the latest Quicktime and RealTek audio drivers.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
            Level 1
            Hi Steve
            Good to hear from you. I have been using Premiere Elements for about 10 years and have been using version 3.0 for the past two years. This problem is new and very persistent. I have a project that is 98% complete (1h10m long movie) and Elements was working fine. Then one day when I opened Elements I got an error message saying "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project." Since then every time I open Elements I get that message but it no longer offers to save it under a new name, just shuts down the program once I click OK. The screen where it lets me choose which project to open appears without any problems, but then when I open the project the error message appears about 10 seconds after the project has finished opening. I have tried opening different projects, and even tried starting a brand new project, but the message appears every time. I tried deleting the prefs file in Application Data as suggested in some forums but that didn't help. I have re-installed Elements several time but the problem still occurs.
            My operating system is Windows XP with Service Pack 3. I have 4GB of RAM and two 300GB hard drives, both less than one quarter full. Quicktime and the Realtek drivers are up to date. I recently installed XP Service Pack 3 and some updates for Microsoft Office 2003, but Elements worked fine for several days after this before the problem began occurring. I have also recently had a problem with my computer refusing to shut down however it's shutting down normally now, not sure if that's anything to do with the Elements problem. Virus and spyware scans using Norton and Ad-Aware are all clear.
            Hope you are able to help. Thanks, Iwona.
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
              Have you done the maintenance I recommended above and uninstalled the program (removing preferences) and reinstalled?
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
                Level 1
                Hi Steve,
                Yes, I did the maintenance a few times and installed and uninstalled Adobe a few times as well. I deleted the preference files a few times, moved a project to a different drive and opened it from there, still the same message. I am at my wits ends by now. It has been a week of struggle. I am also disappointed with Adobe for no longer providing support for Elememts 3 users. Hope to hear from you, you are my last resort.
                Cheers,
                Iwona
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
                  Level 1
                  Hi Steve, its me again but this time with good news, my projects have opened! I followed some advice from the list Adobe provides which suggested to change the name of the "styles" folder and surprise surprise it worked!
                  Thanks for your help so far. Cheers,Iwona
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3 does not open projects (existing or new)
                    Any solution is a good solution, Iwona. Glad to hear you're making progress.