5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 12:26 PM by New Improved Chuck Engels

Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7

I'm a newbie and know that once I get a hang of the key frame adjusting, I'll be able to fix this. However, in just trying to use presets for BOTH a pan and a zoom for a still image (as demonstrated in Muvipix video) I cannot get both to work on the same clip. I can get one or the other to work but as soon as I drag and drop the other on top of the clip it overrides the other. How can I get them both to work in concert?
        • 1. Re: Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          In my experience, many presets cancel each other out. In other words, when you add a new one to the beginning of a clip, it supercedes what was there before.

You may want to post to the Muvipix forum and see if Chuck can explain how he was able to do it.
          • 2. Re: Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7
            New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
            Hi Craig,
            Considering this is from a muvipix tutorial it might be best to continue the conversation there.

I would like to know what tutorial you are referring to, there are many and I can't remember them all anymore. It is possible that this worked in an earlier version but does not work in current versions.

I just tried a quick test in version 4 and one preset overwrote the other, about to try version 3 next. My suggestion would be to learn to keyframe yourself, it really is easier than you might think. There are plenty of keyframing masters over at muvipix that can help you learn quickly.

Steve's tip on keyframing is great also, lots of resources including right here at the Adobe forum. Many of the members here are also members at muvipix as well.

You could easily add the pan preset and then keyframe the zoom by yourself, it would be a good experience anyway :)

If you need my help stop by muvipix and we can work on it. I will post back with what I find out trying this in version 3, which the tutorial was probably done with.
            • 3. Re: Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7
              Just tried version 3 and one preset still overwrites the other, not sure why it is doing that. I still need to know what tutorial it is that you were watching so I can check out what I was doing and in what version ;)
              • 4. Re: Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7
                Level 1
                Chuck, here is title and link to the video that shows both working together:

tu-PE4 - Create an Instant Slideshow w/Pan & Zoom

http://muvipix.co/free/previews.php?preview=using_preset_motion_sm_free&width=1014&height= 723

I know the right answer is to work with keyframing so I will go down that path. Heck, that's how you learn anyway, right? Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Preset pan and zoom not working together - PE7
                  Hi Craig,
                  Thanks for the link.

They shouldn't overwrite each other, one (zoom) changes Scale, the other (pan) changes Position. It worked in the tutorial and I know that I have done this before, but sure can't make it work right now.

I will keep trying to figure out why it worked before but doesn't now. Best thing to do at present is to add the preset pan and then do the zoom by keyframing manually. You will be glad you learned how anyway :)