13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 7:45 PM by Robert J. Johnston

PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more

Hi there

I am working with PE7 on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi2550 notebook (Intel Core 2 Duo @2,5 GHz, 3 GB DDR2-RAM, 500 GB HDD internal & 1 TB HDD external).

Suddenly I can not move my clips within the timeline no more via drag n drop. Additionally, I can not add fadings no more. PE7 is actually running without any problems except of the above.

Does anyone know if I have maybe enabled or disabled a special function which causes this problems?

I am really totally confused about that and it makes working impossible.

Thanks for any answers.
        • 1. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Can you be more specific about what you're doing and what's not happening?

Are you saying that you can't move clips from the project media panel to your timeline by dragging them from one to the other? What happens when you try? And what happens when you play your timeline after you try to drag a clip to it?

It also might be important to know what types of clips you're dragging (video, still, audio), what kind of camcorder they came from and how you got them into your computer.
          • 2. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
            Try restarting your system. At times Premiere Elements uses too much memory and it stops responding to even basic functions.
            • 3. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
              ZachSchuster

Hello,

I am having a similar problem, as are several students in a class I am teaching.

The problem is this: at some point during the editing process, the user can no longer add, move, or edit any clips in the timeline.  We can select a clip, but trying to move it around yields no results.

The ONLY solution has been to restart the project from scratch.  I thought it might be a virtual memory problem, but no change.

We are using basic DV cameras (GL-1s, Eluras, etc...) and recoridng in stereo.  There are no music clips, to the best of my knowledge, that could be causing the problem.

Any thought or advice?

Thanks,

Zach

• 4. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Zach,

To get a little more information, let's see if I have this right. You are able to Capture from the video cameras via FireWire, in Premiere Elements. The AV files show up as .AVI (DV-AVI Type II) in the Project Panel. You then drag them to the Timeline, where they pop, by default, to Video Track 1 and Audio Track 1. There is no Soundtrack, or Narration Track yet. You are working in PE7. Is that correct so far?

Where you, and the students are having problems, is that once on the Timeline, the Clips cannot be moved. You are saying that in this example, four Clips on VT 1, Clip 1, Clip 2, Clip 3 and Clip 4, you cannot drag Clip 2 to follow Clip 4, instead of following Clip 1? Can they be Deleted?

Since PE does not allow one to physicaly Lock a Track, like you can in PrPro, that cannot be the issue. I cannot imagine what could be causing the Track to "lock." Maybe the info can help someone else find the cause of this problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                  ZachSchuster Level 1

Hunt,

Yes, you have it correct.  The files are capturing as DV-AVI, we can drag them down one by one onto the timeline tracks, just as you described.  We cannot move "clip 2" to follow clip 4" etc...  Futhermore, if we select ALL clips on ALL tracks and try to move them all down, say, 10 seconds, none of the clips will move.  I believe they CAN be deleted, but don't recall if we've tried that.  I think we have, and could delete clips.

I do believe that in one instance a while back we were able to restore an auto-save file that did not have these problems.  That leads me to believe it might be a problem with the project file being corrupted, rather than one or more clips.

Also, once this bug manifests itself, if we try to drag a clip down from the project bin and onto the timeline and, say, bring the clip far right to make the timeline scroll, we start getting repeating lines on the timeline zone as the timeline scrolls.  (If that doesn't make sense, I don't blame you...)

This is not happening all the time, or with all the students.  They all have identical laptops (IBM/Lenovo R61, Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM), and under my advisement have (hopefully) closed downsuperfilous applications while editing.  I would wager there are chat and browser windows open, but doubt they would be causing this issue.

The next time the problem crops up (usually the day before projects are due...) I will try to grab a camera and videotape the program while it is behaving this way and tryto upload it.

• 6. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Zach,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I do not have PE7, and just because I have not observed similar in PE4, does not help you troubleshoot your issue. Maybe one of the forum members with PE7 will be able to help better.

It seems that you're doing the right things.

Out of curiosity, approximately how many Clips (and total Duration of all) are you working with?

PE Project files can become corrupted. Unfortunately, the normal first-course of action in PrPro, is to Import the Project into another. That is not possible in PE (do not think that PE7 added the Import Project feature), so going to Save_As, Save_As_a_Copy and AutoSave files is about the only recourse. Now, the Project files (.PREL) are just XML databases of links and settings (no media, or other), and some have had success using programs like XMLWrench to fix bad headers, etc.. However, when this sort of corruption takes place, there is usually an error message, on Open Project. You're not getting that, so I'd guess that the header info is good and correct.

Your comment about scrolling sounds like a possible display issue. A couple of thoughts on Adobe products and display issues:

1.) MS InteliPoint mouse drivers have been known to cause problems - mostly flashing borders on Adobe windows.

2.) Window Blinds (older versions) can cause display issues - usually inactive buttons and odd colors in the dialog boxes

3.) MS updates (to the OS), can obsolete video drivers, instantly and behind the scenes. Have you updated the display drivers (and the audio drivers, as odd as it sounds), on the computers?

4.) Apple QuickTime can cause some issues. There was a series of problems with the QT 7.4.x updates. I have heard of few problems with QT 7.5.5 (my current version), and only problems on the Mac for QT 7.6 (current version). This for Adobe programs. What version of QT are you running?

Other than those thoughts, I'm out of ideas, and can't even help you test the Projects. Maybe Steve, or another PE7 user will jump in and help us both out here.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] is it possible to do a screen-cap of your PE panel, Save as a higher rez JPG and Attach it, just so others can see what your Timeline and Project Panel look like?

• 7. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Zac,

Here is a Link to another thread on similar. Maybe something in it will help, or trigger with you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                        ZachSchuster Level 1

Hah, Ben from that thread is actually one of the students in my class!

He still has a corrupt project file.  We're going to take some screen grabs and maybe a video tomorrow to give some examples of the problems.

In a situation like this, does Adobe offer free tech support?

To answer a previous question, the problem has occurred in projects with a high number of clips, images, etc... as well as one with only a few... les than 10 clips in the project file.

• 9. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Adobe does offer some tech support for current products.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414984

• 10. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Zach,

Actually, I'm glad that Ben is a student. Otherwise I was going to get worried about some Bug in PE, or maybe the phases of the Moon. As Steve comments, this is not normal and two threads in a row would bode poorly.

Now, I have either forgotten the answer, of have forgotten to ask the question: are you guys (and gals?) networked, by chance? Few Adobe programs (especially their NLE's) work really well in a networked environment. Does that figure into the mix?

Looking forward to both the images and also the resolution to the problem.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this issue.

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                              Robert J. Johnston Level 2

As Daffy pointed out back in January, it's most likely a memory problem.

If you ever get a "low on system resources" or "low on virtual memory" or anything similar, you must stop what you are doing and save your project, exit from Premiere Elements, then restart Windows. If the user interface starts acting funny, you must also do the same thing, even if you don't get an error message.  If you continue on, you are asking for nothing but trouble.

It's a bug you'll have to live with for now.

• 12. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                                ZachSchuster Level 1

We'll get some things posted tomorrow.

My gut is really telling me it's not a memory problem.  The laptops have 2GB already, and we've really pushed up the virtual memory.  Plus, the problem is so inconsistent and random, it seems to me that if it were a memory problem it would be more universal on these laptops.

Plus, if it were a memory problem, restarting the software would, perhaps, temporarily remedy the problem.  However, once the problem manifests itself, the project is essentially lost-- no amount of restarting, software or entire system, fixes anything.

I could, perhaps, try saving the corrupt file, importing into PPro 2.0 to see if it's functioning... if it is, try to resave it as an Elements file (not even sure I can), and try opening it back up in Elements.  We'll try a number of things and see what happens.

• 13. Re: PE7: Help, can not move clips via drag n drop no more
                                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

You are right when you say it is not a memory problem, in that you have plenty of memory and when you look at the memory usage with Task Manager, there is plenty left. The error messages are actually erroneous, which means the system has become unstable. I have 2 GB of memory on my computer, and I can get low on system resources and memory errors with just one clip on the timeline.