4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 5:42 PM by Barb__O

Premiere Elements 7 Re-Installation

Hi All,

I will have to Re-Install my System and so I will have to Re-Install Premiere Elements too. Can anyone tell me which files I have to backup so that my settings, especially my files in the Organisation View will be kept?

Thanks in advance for answers

Ollever
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Re-Installation
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          As long as you select the option not to uninstall preferences when you uninstall the program, you should be fine.

Although sometimes the preferences are the reason you need to reinstall! So I'd recommend removing the preferences with the program and letting the reinstall rebuild them. This should not affect any work in progress or any metadata you've applied to your media files using Organizer.
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Re-Installation
            Barb__O Level 4
            >which files I have to backup so that my settings, especially my files in the Organisation View will be kept?

Specifically what is the information from the Organisation view that you need to keep? For example, do you have Tagging etc information about these files that you want to keep?

Will this be a wipe clean of your system hard drive?
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Re-Installation
              Level 1
              yes it will be a wipe clean. i want to keep all my films in the organisation view and the peak and tagging informations
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Re-Installation
                Barb__O Level 4
                Ollever,

> i want to keep all my films in the organisation view and the peak and tagging informations

I think that I can answer part of your question. However, what is not included in my answer is
                -- the peak files
                -- the Premiere Elements project files for any current or past projects (.prel files)
                -- the video/film and audio or photo files themselves

For the Tags and the assignement of tags to the files in the Organization view, you need to keep the Elements catalog.

When I look on my Vista system which has both PSE 7 and PRE 7 installed, I find that the Elements catalog which I am using in Premiere Elements and its associated control files are stored in the default location described in a Photoshop Elements technical document in this text

>Photoshop Elements 7 stores catalog files by default in the following location:

>Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs

>Windows Vista: C:\Program Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs

Under this folder structure there is a folder named
                My Catalog
                (or whatever name you have assigned to your catalog: "My Catalog" is the default) and in that folder is the catalog.pse7db file that is the catalog itself. There is also a file that is named thumb.5.cache, which contains the thumbnails shown in the Organize area.

The "catalog.pse7db" file is the most important file. However, I recommend that you save off that entire folder. I suggest looking at the dates of last update on these files as a help to check that you have located the correct files. (You probably need to set Windows Explorer Folder Options to show Hidden Files, in order to see these folders and files listed.)