4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 7:43 AM by Steve Grisetti

Prem Elements 7. Possible to Create a 640x480 project?

This is a frustration of mine after looking through all options, it appears a new project is only available in DV PAL or NTSC, or HD Formats.

I'm shooting some footage for a website and it uses a Still camera, shoting 30FPS with an output video of 640x480 in the MP4 format.

If I import it into Elements, I can only choose DV PAL or NTSC as the project...but if I export it as a Quicktime I get lots of frame-options....but the output crashes, so I have to stick with 720x576.

My question is; Is there a way of creating a project of 640x480 video at 30FPS, or is it possible to download somewhere, a fix for this to allow more video modes, without going to Pro?

Thanks for any help, cheers, MP.
        • 1. Re: Prem Elements 7. Possible to Create a 640x480 project?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Update to the latest version of Quicktime. Then you should be able to output an MOV file at those specs.

But I'm not clear what you mean by "it uses a Still camera, shoting 30FPS. Are you saying that you're shooting your video with a still camera as MP4?

If that's the case, rather than using Premiere Elements for editing and output, you should use Quicktime Pro, available from Apple for $29. It will do exactly what you need. Premiere Elements will not.
          • 2. Re: Prem Elements 7. Possible to Create a 640x480 project?
            Paul_LS Level 4
            If updating to the latest Quicktime as Steve suggests does not help then ther is also the WMV option that has a 640x480 option.
            • 3. Re: Prem Elements 7. Possible to Create a 640x480 project?
              Level 1
              Okay, this is where I am having problems.

Believe it or not, I actually use Premiere Pro CS3 at home, as Video Editing is my hobby.

Now, I work for a newspaper, and they want us to shoot footage on the Nokia N96, which creates an MP4 file. However, I can't use Premiere Pro on my works laptop, (and as they haven't paid for it, I wouldn't anyway), but they have supplied us with Premiere Elements 7 to edit the video with.

The Nokia N96 records mp4 files at 30-fps and at 640x480 resolution.

To import that file into Elements 7, I have to create a New Project. The only options I have are to create DV PAL, DV NTSC or HD Formats.

There is no option to create a custom size of 640x480, I can only choose DV PAL or NTSC at either 720x480 or 720x576.

I know when I go to export, and choose quicktime that I can export to 640x480, but every time I try the PC hangs :(

So, I wondered if there was a way to create a New Project at 640x480 and 30-fps, that way it's the native resolution and I can export it as an avi and compress it using Xvid or FLV.

For a very basic editing package it's fine at what it does...when it works, but rather than hundreds of templates, I'd rather have more resolution options.

Any more advice appreciated.

I haven't tried the Quicktime Pro route, but I find Premiere (as a Pro user) very easy to get around in timeline view, and the fade-in/fade-out right-click tools are really easy.

Cheers, MP.
              • 4. Re: Prem Elements 7. Possible to Create a 640x480 project?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Quicktime Pro is definitely the best solution, IMHO, Neil.

Anything else (including Premiere Elements) is liable to mean compromises and workarounds.

Well, you could also solve this problem with a Mac and Final Cut Express, since it edits MP4s natively, but I assume that's definitely not a cost-effective option.