10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 7:52 AM by DareCinema

Help with getting high quality DVDs from AVCHD footage

gadler22
      Hello,

I know enough about video editing with PE7 to be dangerous, and was hoping someone could help me out.

My question is regarding getting the highest quality standard DVD from AVCHD footage. I have a Sony HDR-SR12 camcorder recording in AVCHD. I am editing footage natively in AVCHD with PE7 on a quad core system. No problem with that. However, when I export to standard DVD the quality of the video goes down drastically. (Yes, I know burning to Blu-ray would give me higher quality, but I am giving this DVD to a friend who doesn't have Blu-ray).

So far I have tried starting my project in both HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel:

General
      Editing mode: HDV 1080i
      Timebase: 29.97 fps

Video Settings
      Frame size: 1440h 1080v (1.333)
      Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)

and Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel:

General
      Editing mode: HD 1080i
      Timebase: 29.97 fps

Video Settings
      Frame size: 1920h 1080v (1.000)
      Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

But I see no discernable difference in the quality of my output onto DVD.

This is where my knowledge is lacking...how can I get the best quality output from my AVCHD onto a standard DVD? Is there some format I can convert to first, and then burn to DVD? Also, I am willing to break the footage into a couple of DVDs to improve the quality, but I don't know how or what to do for that.

My footage looks REALLY great when viewing from the HDR-SR12 direct to HD TV with HDMI cable, but not very good on the DVD. My footage is of a ballet recital, and I lose definition in the faces, costumes, etc on the DVD output.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Gina