6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 7:58 AM by (F_C)

How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?

Level 1
      Hi everyone, Hope someone has a reason for this.

Doing some .MOV conversion to WMV. I have found some variations depending on computer and platform. I'm not satisfied with the results using Flip4Mac, PE3 or PE7 (see below).

I have found the best results by using QT pro to first convert the .MOV file to .MP4. Then using PE4 on my quad-core Desktop to convert to WMV with the following settings:

Video Tab:
      Codec: WMV 9
      Allow interlaced processing box (unchecked)
      Encoding passes: 2
      Bitrate: Variable unconstrained
      Width: 640
      Height 480
      Frame Rate 12
      Pixel aspect: square 1.0
      Decoder Complexity: Auto
      Keyframe interval: 5
      Buffer Size: Default
      Average Video Bitrate 928

Audio Tab:
      Audio Codec: WMA 9.2
      Encoding Passes: 2
      Bitrate Mode: Variable Unconstrained
      Audio format: 48kbps, 44khz stereo VBR

Audiences tab
      Compressed
      Average kbps: variable

The big question is that I'm trying to repeat this quality using PE7 or PE3. I have been unable to do this despite using the exact same settings with a trial version of PE7 with the Windows XP on my BootCamp and VMWare. I've gone line by line with the Export Settings. I even downloaded the WMP 11 to make sure that wouldn't change the encode.

The only thing that is different is the audio codec (9.2 on PE4 and 9 on PE7).

Any thoughts as to why the PE4 would be pretty good (not as good as the original .MOV of course) but the PE7 would be very pixelated and grainy with the same settings? Also Flip4Mac is not very good either.

Just trying to avoid creating the .MOV on MacBook, then needing to run the conversion on desktop and then move back.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Coming from MOV to MP4 to WMV through Premiere Elements seems terribly inefficient. But it's hard to say if there's a better way, since I don't know much about that original MOV file. Is it a hi-def video file? If not, why go to MP4 and into Premiere Elements, which would treat it as an AVCHD file?

Your best results would be to use Quicktime Pro to create an AVI with the DV codec, then use Windows MovieMaker to turn that into a WMV. Involving Premiere Elements in this process will likely take you further from, rather than closer to a more efficient workflow.
          • 3. Re: How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?
            Level 1
            That's strange. I responded earlier and the whole message got trashed. Hence the test post before retyping the entire thing again.

Thanks for the reply.

The video clip is a single screen capture video clip. This is what I've found by playing around with this more.

The original clip resolution is greater than 640x480. If I use QT Pro to convert the original clip to 640x480 and then use either Flip4Mac or PE7, then the resolution looks good.

Just trying to figure out if should keep all workflow on the MacOS side. There are several different version of Flip4Mac. $49 gives me 640x480, but if I ever want to make it slightly larger then I would need to go with the $99 or HD version.

I also tried to export to AVI with QT Pro and the import with Windows MovieMaker but it didn't work really good. I liked the simplicity (since PE7 hogs a lot of resources especially through VMWare).
            • 4. Re: How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Now I'm very confused, FC. So you're not going only from MOV to MP4 to WMV through Premiere Elements, but you're also crossing platforms from Mac to Windows? There must be an easier way.

I'm also not clear on the details. Sometimes you're talking about a 640x480 file, and now you're talking about working in hi-def? I just don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

But if you're not getting better quality outputting a DV-AVI and then using Windows MovieMaker to make that into a WMV, I don't know what the best solution is for you. Maybe I'm just not understanding your goals.

Let's see if anyone else can post a better solution.
              • 5. Re: How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?
                Level 1
                Sorry for confusion. Not working with HD.

Working on Web Tutorials. Institution doesn't support QT on their workstations, just Windows Media Player. So just finding a way to convert .MOV files to .WMV while retaining as much clarity as possible.

I read good things about Flip4Mac but based on trial versions, couldn't get it to be satisfactory until last night's work-around.

This is my current workflow. Capture live in SnapZPro at 4:3. Convert with QT Pro to 640x480. Then Flip4Mac to WMV.
                • 6. Re: How to Decrease Pixelations on WMV Output with PE3, PE4, or PE7?  Settings?
                  Level 1
                  Some further clarifications.

Previously always worked on PCs. Recently replaced my 4.5 yr laptop with a MacBook. Still need Windows for work programs. Just trying to figure a workflow while minimizing additional software purchases. I currently have PE3 and PE4 and was seeing about moving either of them to my Notebook (will save me $100 or so).