9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 12:55 PM by the_wine_snob

X hard drive can not eject

Adobe Premier elements is working with avi footage that I have on my external hard drive. When I am finished working on a project and have everything closed out, Adobe holds up the drive, not allowing me to "safley remove hardwear". I have 2 external drives and it does this on both. Does anyone know how to handle this? I have gone and turned off the casche
        • 1. Re: X hard drive can not eject
          Ed.Macke Level 3
          When you say "closed out", do you mean that you've exited out of Premiere, or just that you've closed the project you're working on?

Also, how is your drive connected... USB1, USB2, Firewire, eSATA?

If you wait a few minutes, can you disconnect it then?
          • 2. Re: X hard drive can not eject
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Kathy,

Premiere Elements and Pro both do a little routine of "cleanup," after they exit. Usually takes moments and is hardly ever noticed.

Also, if you have Indexing on for that drive, Windows will lock it, and the files, while it indexes every new, or changed file. I turn this off for all of my drives, as it can really get in the way of work with NLE's, as they are constantly writing, changing, or deleting files. Windows does not like this, and wants to take complete control, while it indexes. I've seen people "locked out" of their files, while editing, and this process running. They cannot even do a Save, as the file is "locked." It can cause all sorts of problems with an NLE.

When you have exited from Premiere, open Task Manager, and look at the Processes tab, do you see any sort of Adobe "cleanup" going on. Click the CPU column twice to get the most active CPU users at the top. Which Process is using CPU cycles, besides System Idle?

Hunt
            • 3. Re: X hard drive can not eject
              Level 1
              Ed,
              When I say closed out I mean I have closed program, nothing is showing as running.

My drive is conected USB 2

No matter how long I wait, it won't let me eject drive.

Kathy
              • 4. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                Level 1
                Bill,

Thanks for the info, I will try that and see if it works. If I can not eject I will also check the task mgr and let you know.

Kathy
                • 5. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  Hunt,

Good idea on the indexing. Even if it isn't causing this particular lockup, it's a good idea in general to turn off indexing. I've found a fantastic freebie called "Everything" (www.voidtools.com)that I use instead - it just can't do text searches.

Kathy, one other thing that *might* be worth a shot is to turn off Window's "delayed write" feature. Details can be found here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1819756,00.asp. Usually, delayed write won't cause *that* much of a delay, but it's kind of an imperfect technology, IMO, so it very well could get "stuck". It's worth a try... it's easy enough to turn off and if it doesn't solve the problem you could leave it off (it won't hurt anything leaving it off and arguably will help), or turn it back on.
                  • 6. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                    Level 1
                    Hunt,

I did go in and turn off indexing on all my drives.
                    After working on Adobe for about 2 hrs I again can not eject drive. I did exit Premiere, went to task mgr and the only thing using cpu was system idle.

Kathy
                    • 7. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                      Ed.Macke Level 3
                      Kathy,

Are you using the "Safely Remove Hardware" system tray icon to disconnect the drive?

If so, what happens if you go to Explorer, right-click on the drive, and click Eject?
                      • 8. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                        Ed.Macke Level 3
                        Your dilemma had me perplexed and I did a little research since I'm planning on adding an external drive for backup.

One other thought, how do you know it's Adobe (Premiere) holding up the drive?

Basically, once a drive is attached, Windows itself will treat it like a drive, and as such any of the following Windows processes could also be placing a hold on the drive (one would think that telling Windows to eject the drive would also tell Windows to release any holds it had, but one would also think Windows wouldn't do about 1,000 other stupid things it does). In other words, Premiere may be using the drive, but it might be Windows itself that's preventing the ejection.

Windows things that might have a hold...
                        *System Restore
                        *AntiVirus / AntiSpyware (scans, monitoring for suspicious activity, etc).
                        *Recycle Bin
                        *Windows Explorer having directory open
                        *Command prompt open, with prompt at directory
                        *Indexing service (which we kind of already covered)
                        *Internet Explorer, especially some add-ons

I'm pretty sure there are tools that would tell you which processes have a hold on the drive, but I think most of them are pretty techy.
                        • 9. Re: X hard drive can not eject
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Some interesting observations, Ed. I have not used USB externals (except rarely) in some years. All of mine are FW-400, or FW-800.

I have found that with the USB's, there WAS often a hold placed on the drive. Usually, waiting a moment took care of this. It has also been years, since I did any editing to/from a USB, and never with any Adobe product. I gave up on this, because of the lethargic performance with other NLE's and USB externals. I only use these for minor archiving now, so have not noticed the "hold," but it still might be there.

As to AV & Spyware software, I usually turn these off for editing, but they are notorious for going and "poking around" a system. Same for Indexing, whether it's Windows, or programs like Roxio & Nero, which love to "monitor" all discs, in hopes of finding some sort of file to burn to CD/DVD. I never install any of the modules for this sort of thing, when installing Nero (do not use any Roxio).

@ Kathy,

Besides your Premiere Elements work, is this drive used for anything else, Ghost, Maxtor-One-Touch, etc.? Anything at all on that drive, beyond Adobe?

A lot of possibilities, but no hard-n-fast answers yet,

Hunt