1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 4:20 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE4 + FS100 = Bad Performance

I have a Canon FS100 flash based camera that produces MOD files. I switched to PE4 when I got this camera and performance is terrible. I have a reasonably fast computer (quad core q6600, 4gb mem, 2x500gb 7200rpm sata drives, xp sp3) so hardware is not the issue.

A typical editing session for me is to import about 30 min of SD footage broken up into 32 mod files totaling about 800 MB. The initial import is slow but I can live with it. The real issue is whenever I tab out of PE4 to do something else and then tab back in there is a huge delay (~60 seconds) like it has paged everything out to disk and then pages everything back. The memory utilization never gets above 1GB and the disks have plenty of free space.

I'm at a loss. I've been living with this for over a year. So last night I downloaded the trial of Pinnacle Studio 12 and imported the same files. Performance is MUCH better and there is no lag. I like the features of PE but can't go on living with this terrible performance. Surely I'm not the only one who is experiencing these problems. I think it must have something to do with the kinds of files output by my camcorder (many small files vs fewer larger) but still if Pinnacle can handle it for $50 then surely PE should be able to as well.

Please let me know if this is a known issue and point me in the direction of a fix.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: PE4 + FS100 = Bad Performance
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Premiere Elements 4 is clearly not designed to edit flash memory video files from this camcorder, Paul. I could not find specs on the video format it saves as, but it's clearly not in Premiere Elements' limited repertoire.

If you've found a program that can work with these non-standard video files, I suggest you use it rather than Premiere Elements.

It's possible that you could have success using this camera with Premiere Elements using the Flash/Hard Drive Camcorder project presets. But I would otherwise expect that trying to make that camera work with this program will lead to nothing but frustration.