6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 2:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Blu-ray Java menu

(Thomas_Butts)
      Is there an option to produce/burn a project to Blu-ray using a BD-J (Java menu)? I understand this allows you the opportunity to add more content to the disc later. This would prevent wasting a lot of space on a Blu-ray disc which is very expensive at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Tom
        • 1. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          At present, Premiere Elements will only burn a BluRay file directly to a disc.
          • 2. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
            (Thomas_Butts) Level 1
            Steve,

I apologize in advance for what may be a stupid question and thank you for answering so quickly. I know that there are 3 formats of Blu-ray disc authoring- BDMV, BDAV, and BD-J and I was under the impression that only BD-J allowed you to add content to a disc later. Am I totally off base? I know that the BD-J is a newer way to do it and may not be supported in the consumer software, yet, but was wondering if it was. I just don't want to burn 5 GB of video to a $20 Blu-ray disc and waste 20 GB if there is a way of adding to it later. Thanks again.

Tom
            • 3. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
              rhimbo

Tom,

Forgive me if I haven't understood your question....

BD-J is not a "format" really. It's really a general term that represents the support for Java on a Blu-ray disc.

A Java "application", called an Xlet, can execute on a Blu-ray player. These Java applications are packaged as BDJOs (Blu-ray Java Objects).  They are included as part of the structure that gets burned to the disc.

The HDMV author has to place the BDJO files, usually packaged as a Java .jar file, in the directory structure that the HDMV authoring software (e.g. Scenarist or Blu-print) grabs as its source for muxing the final image that gets burned to the disc.

I don't know if there is a way to add content to a disc later. The BD-J spec version 3 required BD-Live, which is basically networking capability. So, the Java Xlet can download new executable code, images, audio, video, etc. to the player at a later time. However, any such downloaded assets are stored on the player, not the disc. I could be wrong, but as far as I know there is no way to add something to the disc after the original burn.

I hope this helps....

• 4. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To the best of my knowledge, there are currently three apps that can do this: Sony's Blu-print, Sonic Scenarist, and NetBlender's DoStudio. None is inexpensive, matter-of-fact just the opposite, and there are also licensing fees that can be associated with the use of each.

Also, thanks for breaking down the Java details,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
                  Kodebuster Level 3

Since I may have the attention of the Bluray/Java savvy, is there a valid reason why PE7 will only Burn-to-Disc with Bluray, and not Burn-to-Folder.

Does Premier Pro CS4 have the same limitation ???

Thanx...

• 6. Re: Blu-ray Java menu
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I've seen reference to that, but do not have PE7 to test. IIRC, there is another BD thread here (do not believe that it's in the Encore forum), where someone DID Burn to Folder from PE. The problem that the user was having was then burning from the folder to BD. I had recommended ImgBurn as something try for that. What I think I read contradicts the Burn to Folder absence in PE7, but then I think that Steve G. confirmed this as a limitation and he should know - he wrote the book on it.

Sorry, but I just do not know and am now more confused, than I was a day, or so ago.

Hunt