7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 2:37 PM by Steve Grisetti

Aspect Ratios Issues

I am trying to get videos that I recorded at a 16:9 ratio on my JVC Everio to show up as a 16:9 ratio on Premiere Elements 7.0. When creating a new project, I have tried both the NTSC and PAL project presets, I have chosen Hard Disk within both of those, and then widescreen. These presets said they work great with JVC Everio cameras. But when I import the file into Premiere, the video gets slightly stretched vertically to a ratio which looks like 4:3. This happens for each combination of presets.

The only thing that I can think of is that I have been downloading the files from the camera to my computer, and then importing them into Premiere...would that make a difference?

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Everio's MOD files are notoriously challenging for programs like Premiere Elements, for some strange reason.

Here's one solution that works, from the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b69740/0?14@@

Short of that, you can right-click on your clips on the timeline or in your media panel and select the option to Interpret Footage.
          • 2. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
            Level 1
            Thanks for giving me this forum link...I wasn't able to find anything. I will try these suggestions and post an update.
            • 3. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
              Level 1
              Hi Adam,
              I have footages shot from Everio camcoders (Widescreen) and they work well. Though Premiere Elements works really well with DV-AVI, I would not agree that you have to convert the MOD files to DV-AVI to work with it in Premiere Elements.

I am surprised as how the FAQ here advises the user to do so.

While creating the Project we just need to be sure that the we Choose the correct 'FORMAT' (PAL/NTSC) and the Correct Project settings (STD/WIDE). Once this is done, you should not see any issues with the MOD files, be it STD or Widescreen.
              • 4. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
                Well, as we always say, Your mileage may vary.

Sometimes, it just all works (particularly if your computer is well set-up, updated and well-tuned), even against the odds. And if it does, that's great!

But for those more-often-than-not challenges, like working with Everio files, we offer the solutions in the FAQ.
                • 5. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
                  I have exactly the same problem. My 16:9 recordings from my Everio GZ-M500 appear in Adobe PE 7 as something that looks like 4:3. I have seen the tip on Interpret Footage, but this is "grey" and not available for this file. I am pretty desperate now since I have tried almost everything I can think of, especially since PE 7 specifically list that they can import Everio .MOD files.

Is there any other tip out there?
                  • 6. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
                    Krieg45 Level 1
                    I have a Panasonic HD-40 (standard def) and had a similar problem. Even though the camera was set to 16:9 and the project was set to 16:9, the footage was interpreted as 4:3. (Shapes were narrower than in real life.) Pre7 displayed the clips correctly once I went to Edit view and right-clicked the clip, selected Interpret Footage manually, set the Pixel Aspect Ratio (second box down) to
                    Conform to: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)
                    • 7. Re: Aspect Ratios Issues
                      If your video can not be re-interpretted, Jostein, it could be because you used a program other than Premiere Elements to capture the video.