3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2009 3:35 PM by Steve Grisetti

How to create a preset for computer output of 1024x768?

I just upgraded from Premiere Elements 1.0 (yes, 1! :) ) to PE7. I record user group meetings for my local software developers group. We have screen capture at 1024x768 pixels and audio.

In PE1 I had no trouble bringing this footage in, editing it and exporting it as 1024x768 for viewing online by the members.

However, I can't seem to find anyway to create a project preset for 1024x768. It seems I can only create SD, HD and similar.

When attempting to create a custom preset 90% of the values are pre-filled with settings and I can't change them. I see textboxes for the height and width but I can't change them.

Is this a limitation of PE7? Why in the world can I not create a video any size I want? Without this ability the upgrade is almost useless to me.

Please let me know because I feel like I must just be missing something.

Thanks!
      Matt
        • 1. Re: How to create a preset for computer output of 1024x768?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I don't know of any way to stream a truly 1024x768 WMV, MOV or even FLV file, although it's certainly possible to create one, Matt. At least from version 7 of the software.

On the other hand, it sounds like you were able to export it as a 1024x768 file that could be viewed online by your members. So I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

Version 7 has project presets for high definition video, including 720p and 1080i -- but not custom resolutions.
          • 2. Re: How to create a preset for computer output of 1024x768?
            Level 1
            Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I did see the 720p preset and this does produce a nice image. The SD preset made the output look muddy and the screen text was unreadable.

That being said, when importing my media into a project on the 720p preset I get the black letterbox bars on the side.

I did render a 10 second test area and changed the output size to 1024x768. I was afraid it would squash the entire video, but much to my surprise it just cropped it. So, while I have to work with the letterboxing I can output an actual 1024x768 video. I was also having a little trouble because I was using File - Export Movie to, well, export my movie. When I tried the Share task, set it to PC and changed the settings this was much easier and produced a much better result.

Thanks for the help!

FYI, I use PE7 to export it as a wmv. I'm playing with Expression Encoder to then encoded this with VC-1 for Silverlight clients.
            • 3. Re: How to create a preset for computer output of 1024x768?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              It sounds like this solution works, then? If so, great news! Glad I could help.