16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 12:03 PM by Steve Grisetti

Widescreen Does not Fill Screen

BRC guy Level 1
      I have PE4. I also own a Canon VIXIA HV30. When I use widescreen, everything looks GREAT . . . until I render the final product into MPEG or DVD. Then the supposed widescreen is merely a widescreen shape in the middle of the screen - the sides do not touch the screen like a normal widescreen should. Am I missing something?
        • 1. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What project setting are you using?

Also, it appears you're outputting to DVD rather than BluRay disc. Does this mean you're using hi-def footage in a standard DV project, or are you using HDV project settings and outputting a standard DVD from it?

Finally, where are you judging playback? On your TV or your computer? Note that home-burned DVDs don't always trigger the widescreen playback on DVD players, and you need to turn that on manually.
          • 2. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
            BRC guy Level 1
            Thank you.

The settings are below this message.

I am using what I believe to be all HDV settings on both camera and PE4. All playback is judged on computer. (I don't own a TV or DVD player.) Also, I do not know what a BlueRay disc is. I think these are just atandard DVDs. (DVD-R 16x to be exact.) But, as I said, the MPEG's file playbacks are as small as the DVDs'. Double-clicking the screen does not enlargen it.

Thank you sooooo much for helping me! As you can probably tell, I'm kinda new at doing this, so although I'm not a total idiot, I'm probably about 60% idiot! :)

~ Jeff

General
            Editing mode: HDV 1080i
            Timebase: 29.97 fps

Video Settings
            Frame size: 1440h 1080v (1.333)
            Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
            Fields: Upper Field First

Audio Settings
            Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Capture Format
            HDV Capture

Video Rendering
            Maximum Bit Depth: Off
            Preview File Format: I-Frame only MPEG-2
            Compressor: I-Frame Only MPEG
            Color depth: Millions of colors

Default Timeline
            Video tracks: 3
            Stereo tracks: 3
            • 3. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
              It's possible I'm misunderstanding the issue.

In your initial post you say "Then the supposed widescreen is merely a widescreen shape in the middle of the screen".

I assumed you meant it was letterboxed. I think what you're saying is that the picture is not as big as your computer monitor.

If that's the case, remember that DVD video is only the equivalent of about 855x480 pixels -- while your computer monitor is more likely at least 1024x768.

In other words, your DVD, playing at 100% size, is not going to fill your computer monitor screen.

Most DVD player software, however, has a full screen setting that will enlarge the playback so that it does fill your monitor. If this is the case, you should look for that setting. (Try right-clicking on the screen. If you are playing your DVD in Windows Media Player,look for the Full Screen option under the View menu.)
              • 4. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                BRC guy Level 1
                Thank you.

The picture fills the screen (top to bottom) when I do not use the widescreen option. When I play the DVD or the MPEG of a widescreen file, the top and bottom are merely cropped off. I should think that the picture would then adjust to fit the horizontal. I indeed do select full screen when I play the file in Windows Media. In that case, then, the upper and lower bar are blackened out and there are dark grey sidebars on either side.

In fact . . . even when I minimize the window it is playing in, the picture still remains within a darkened border that surrounds the picture inside the player window - and I think that this is a clue for someone who understands this better than I. The picture refuses to fill the window, residing instead with a dark border.

I hope this helps, and I thank you so much for considering my situation!!! :)

~ Jeff
                • 5. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  I believe that your mistaken impression that DVD is the same as Blu-ray is causing you confusion. The DVD will not fill the sides of Windows Media Player, as Steve has already stated.

And if you can see dark grey on the sides, then your monitor isn't adjusted correctly for brightness and contrast and gamma. It should be black border all around the video in Windows Media Player.
                  • 6. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                    BRC guy Level 1
                    Thank you.

The thing is that all Window Media fill the screen . . . except for what I produce with my Canon HV30 + PREL4. The black/grey sides are a frame or a block of some sort that holds the picture within. It cannot be the computer monitor (Sony 17" VAIO), otherwise all MPEG Windows Media files would play the same way. Only mine have the side blocks.

Thank you for taking the time to think about my problem!

~ Jeff
                    • 7. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                      BRC guy Level 1
                      I uploaded a sample to my website: http://www.duelingpianosentertainment.com/html/widescreen_problem.html
                      • 8. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                        As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly how it's suppose to look. It's only 720x480. A DVD. It's not 1440x1080.

Also, I don't see any dark grey borders on the sides.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.
                        • 9. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                          One thing I thought of is that your video is being interpreted as 16:9 with 1.2 pixel aspect ratio (and maybe that is what it really is) instead of the project 16:9 anamorphic 1.333 pixel aspect ratio. That could create borders on the sides. If you go to the Project tab and then right click on the video in the bin, you can slect Interpret Footage from the pop up menu. What does Premiere Elements have listed for the aspect ratio?
                          • 10. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                            BRC guy Level 1
                            Under Pixel Aspect Ration the first box is checked. That box says "Use Pixel Aspect Ration from File: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
                            • 11. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                              BRC guy Level 1
                              LOL! I meant Ratio, not Ration.
                              • 12. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                                Jeff, can you confirm that when you output your DVD or export an MPEG or other file, that you're using a Preset that's widescreen and not a DVD standard?
                                • 13. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                                  After 6 hours sleep I'm afraid I didn't dream of a solution.

My camcorder actually creates widescreen video with a black border on the left and bottom. That's by design. It doesn't shoot a full 720 pixels wide, just 712. So the video would not fill the entire width of the screen if I press ALT-ENTER in Windows Media Player.

If you use the motion effect in PRemiere Elements to scale the video on the timeline up by 25% or whatever, do the borders on the sides get narrower and maybe disappear in Windows Media Player?
                                  • 14. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                                    I think yours is a different situation, Robert. Jeff's cam is shooting HDV, so it is true 16:9. And the output should be also -- if he's using a widescreen output setting.
                                    • 15. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                                      BRC guy Level 1
                                      First of all, Steve and Robert, I simply cannot thank you enough for taking the time to think about my situation, and taking the time to write in this forum. Steve has solved it in post #12. I never noticed that setting before. I can't tell you how happy this has made me!!! Let me know if you ever come to Reno and you got drinks coming on me! If you can't, here's a video I made (in standard mode! boo!!!) so I can at least sing you a couple songs! :) http://www.duelingpianosentertainment.com/html/dueling-pianos-videos.html

Once again, thank you thank you thank you!!! This was a GREAT way to start my day!

~ Jeff Martin Knutson
                                      • 16. Re: Widescreen Does not Fill Screen
                                        Always nice to know you've got a connection in Reno, Jeff. Glad we could help!

And thank you so much for the delightful video link! You're definitely a talented musician and a terrific performer!