10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2009 6:45 AM by the_wine_snob

BluRay Burner compatible with PE7

I am ready to try burning a BluRay Disc. Can you tell me what BluRay burners are compatible with PE 7. I have always burnt my standard videos to My Videos Folder and then had to use Nero 8 as my PE 3, and now PE 7, progs do not recognize my burners. Am I going to have to continue with Nero 8? I like to collect several Video clips in My Videos Folder (Windows XP Pro) and then I can make up DVD's with different combinations for different people. I do need advice on BluRay burners.
        • 1. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Well, version 7 doesn't offer the option of burning BluRay files to a folder -- but, fortunately, I've not heard reports of anyone failing to burn to a BluRay disc.

And on this forum, believe me, if there were problems, we'd hear about them!
          • 2. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
            Level 1
            If I cannot burn to a folder, then how do I make a full length family film taken over one year? Do I have to download a whole year of clips and make chapters out of them? This would be complicated as my tape would have family, gardens, machinery etc. It would seem that I have to download into one huge piece and just pick out, for example, family.

Surely one does not want to put a 3 minute clip on a disc by itself!

I am about to buy a BluRay burner. Are there any that are not compatible with Prem. 7? If I cannot burn to a folder then I MUST have a burner which is accepted by Prem. 7. My standard burners are not recognized by Prem. 3 or 7.
            • 3. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
              I'm not sure what you mean by needing to put a 3 minute clip on a BluRay disc.

But, as I said, I'm also not aware of any BluRay burner that's not compatible with Premiere Elements.

Still, you may have better luck getting a discussion going on our "sister" site, Muvipix.com. There's a sub-forum there on hi-def video that's frequented by people with a lot of experience working in hi-def and burning BluRay. Maybe they can share with you the wisdom of their experience.
              http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/
              • 4. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Ros,

The first thing that I would address would be why PE7 does not see your current burners.

You mention Nero, also being loaded onto your system. Nero is a compilation of various "modules," that perform different, though often overlapping, functions. One "module," that is installed in the default installation is InCD. This is a packet-writing module. It allows one to "drag-and-drop" files to a CD/DVD, just like you do with on the hard drives on your system. If you have this installed, and it is very likely that you do, it will interfer with any Adobe program's burning capability. All Adobe programs, that allow burning to CD/DVD require 100% control of any burner used. InCD "hooks" all bunrners at bootup and will not release the burner to any other program at 100% level*. It is best to always do a "Custom" install, and uncheck the InCD module, so that it is NOT installed. Then PE, or Premiere Pro 2, or Encore, can find the burner and use it at the 100% level.

Usually, a complete uninstall of Nero, and then a Custom installation, will allow Adobe programs to use the burners, if they are installed correctly on one's system.

An easy check for InCD is to open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and look in the Processes Tab. Dbl-click on the Name column twice, to set the listing to alphabetical with ascending order. Scroll down to the I's in the list, and see if InCD is listed. If so, this is very likely your problem. If so, open Control Panel, and choose Add/Remove Programs. Your list might take a moment to populate. Uninstall Nero. Insert your Nero disc into the drive/burner and choose Custom for install, unchecking the InCD module. I also do not install Nero's indexing/monitor, as it has been known to "watch" burners and also get in the way.

While still in Control Panel, look at System>Device Manager. Check that your burners are, in fact, seen by Windows and that they are listed as working properly. If not, then you will want to remove them in Control Panel, and reboot. Windows should then find them, and install its drivers for each. Check in Control Panel>System>Device Manager again. Any warnings?

This should get everything set up so that PE sees your burners. I have to say that Nero can be very invasive on a system. When I uninstall any part of it, I always run a Registry cleaner to make sure that all is removed, before I do a Custom re-install.

Now, for rearranging your "scenes" from your tapes, well, that's editing. It is the work and for me the fun of using an NLE (Non Linear Editing) program, like PE. I take the material from the tapes and arrange them in the order that I wish, i.e. all of the "garden" material into one Project. In PE, you cannot have multiple Sequences (read Timelines here), so I'd just do an edit for the gardens as a Project. Same for "travel," etc. Once edited, you would just Export as a DV-AVI "Movie," and bring the ones that you wish to combine into a new "master" Project. That would be what I would output to DVD, or BD. I use Premiere Pro, which allows for multiple Sequences, and treat each Sequence as a Chapter. I use another Adobe program, Encore, to author the final disc, and just Import each "Chapter" into it. PE does the authoring in one program.

Hope that this helps you get your burners back.

Hunt

* Other programs can hook the burners, as well as InCD. If you have Quicken and use its Save to CD, it will first invoke Windows' version of InCD, which is also a packet-writing application. Once invoked, the burner will only be seen as a CD drive by the system, even if it's a multi-drive. So InCD (Nero) is not the only way that this problem can come about. Any packet-writing application will hook the burners, and Adobe cannot find them.

There can also be issues with the wiring of the burners, that will cause this too. If they are both set to Master on their controller chain, problems can arise. Usually, it's just packet-writing software, that is the culprit.
                • 5. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                  Level 1
                  Thank you for your detailed letter. I am not very computer literate so am getting a friend to help me sort out the problem of my burners.
                  Thank you for taking so much trouble with your reply.

Rearranging scenes. I understand what you are saying. I take the material from the tapes in HDV. I then split them up with the scissors into gardens, family etc.(The HDV download brings them in on one long strip rather than splitting as with standard) Move them so that gardens are together in a project,family another project, Edit them, then Export as a DV-AVI movie. WHERE do I export them to? Back to the camera on a new tape, or into some folder on the computer? I understand that you cannot put HDV into a folder as I do with standard. I THOUGHT I had made an HDV clip but I now wonder. It's 38 secs. MPEG 2 720x576 (CC1R-601D1) 39 MB and IS in a folder and plays brilliantly on the computer. Does this sound like an HDV?!!

I would be grateful if you would answer this in detail as before. It would be a great help.
                  • 6. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                    Ros, you're kind of asking for an entire crash course in non-linear editing and output. I'm not sure Hunt or I can walk you through the entire process (including capturing so that your clips are split into scenes) here on this forum.

I've written "The Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 7", which takes you through the program and shows you how everything works. The book is available on Amazon.com or through the Muvipix store.
                    http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=45

I also co-wrote a book that breaks nearly every task you'd want to do in Premiere Elements into step-by-step instructions. Although it was written for version 2, most of the principles are still applicable (although there was no HDV or BluRay at the time). It, too, is available at the Muvipix store.
                    http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=22
                    • 7. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                      Level 1
                      I can manage the editing perfectly with standard clips but it seems to be different with HDV! I know how to capture, split scenes in standard -transitions, add music etc. etc. and have made hundreds of hours in standard for myself and other people. The HDV is now a different story! I was given to understand that you cannot split clips in HDV. Anyway, will try to get your book.
                      Are your books more detailed than the Prem. 7. Manual which comes with the programme?
                      • 8. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Ros,

You will get so much more from Steve's Book, that it's not even a close call. I also recommend his previous book (along with Chuck Engles) "Premire Elements in a Snap." It was written for PE2, IIRC, but so very much of it will still apply. His PE7 book adds a lot of useful info on HDV material, and changes that are specific to PE7. Still, the earlier book is viable and very usefule too.

You are correct that HDV is a different ballgame in many respects. Much depends on exactly what format/CODEC one's camera records in. Capture is a bit different, as well. Since most HDV material is some flavor of MPEG, cutting on an exact frame might be a bit different, as the "frames" are actually GOP's (Groups of Pictures), and not discreet "frames." Still, this is but a tiny hinderence, and not something to be worried about. Now splitting up one's Capture can be a bit troublesome with HDV material, so your workflow might need to be adapted. Again, much depends on the exact details of the HDV material.

Last, if you are going use DVD-Video as your final delivery format, you might consider doing the Capture in SD, for now, and editing that. Keep your HDV tapes for later use, should you go to Blu-ray (BD) disc delivery in HD. Things were really pretty simple with SD material, filmed on miniDV tape and Captured as DV-AVI Type II, then Exported/Burned to DVD-Video disc. HDV has so many variables and HDV delivery can be a bit complicated, as well. Plus, HDV editing (any scheme) will put stress on one's computer.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                          Level 1
                          To Hunt. Thank you for your reply. I have now ordered Steve's book but will not get it until later this month so Amazon tell me. I greatly look forward to reading it. After I get the book I shall reconsider the HDV editing.
                          I think for now I shall continue with SD after all. I really don't want to be bogged down and I have made some really lovely videos in standard. I find the programme in SD is easy to use and fun. This HDV interest all started when I attached my camera directly to the HDV TV (42" Samsung) and it was mind bogglingly fantastic. I have never seen such clarity and my garden videos were breathtakingly beautiful. The standard DVD made of the same scenes just weren't the same thing although very good by most people's standards.The film I use is a MiniDV tape DVM63. The camera a HDR-HC5E/HC7E Sony.
                          Thank goodness for the forum as I can't find people round here to discuss this hobby of mine.
                          • 10. Re: BluRay Burner compatible with PE7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Ros,

I'm with you on looking into and trying to learn the ins-and-outs of HDV capture, editing and output. I have not gone that route yet, and have no clients, who are requesting it yet. Still, it will be the future, and does seem to present some pitfalls, but with excellent results.

Good luck,

Hunt