16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2009 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?

Esti Moran
      Hi all
      I I am editing a movie. After cutting it to 30-40 pieces I want to organize the pieces in 3 groups (bins)
      Is it possible in PE7?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
          Ed.Macke Level 3
          In the project view (Edit > Project), you can create folders to hold your clips. I find this easiest to do in List View.

Look at the bottom of the project panel - you'll see icons to change view (Icon or List), as well as create new folders.

After creating a new folder (e.g. "Group 1", "Group 2", "Group 3"), you can drag-and-drop clips to the folders. You can also create folders within folders if you want.

I believe that anything you set up would be for the specific project you're working on. A new project would require a new setup.

Is that what you were looking for?

I think there's also some of that functionality in the Organizer (Groups, Albums) but I don't use that very much so maybe somebody else could comment on that.
          • 2. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
            Esti Moran Level 1
            Hi
            Does not work for clip pieces.
            Only for files imported.
            You can not cut a clip to pieces in the timeline and put the pieced in a folder or groupe.
            In AVID it is possible.
            very annoying.
            • 3. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              That is also possible in Premiere Elements 7. Right-click on a clip in the project media panel and select Scene Detect.

Naturally, if you can describe what you're looking for, it's much easier (and less annoying) for us to help you find it, Esti.
              • 4. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                Esti Moran Level 1
                Hi again
                Still, it is not what I wish to do...
                I will explain:
                I am moving thru the time line and splitting manually clip pieces. 2 seconds length here, 3 seconds length there. These clips (pieces) I will use later to create a movie. I wish I could sort (put) these pieces in bins (folders).This could be done by mouse-dragging these pieces... But I can't find a way to do it in PE7.
                Thanks
                Esti
                • 5. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  You're right. That feature is not available in Premiere Elements 7.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    Well, you can do it from the trimmer window. Create a folder in the project Media Bin and name it. Then double click on the clip of interest in the project Media Bin and it will open in the trimmer window. Set your in and out points and then drag the video in the preview window to the folder you created. It will ask you to name the subclip. Then reset new in and out points and then drag the video from the preview monitor to the folder... and so on.
                    • 7. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                      Esti Moran Level 1
                      Hi again
                      Yes, it is working in this way if you double click on the clip in the media bin, set in out markers and drag back... tedious but working.
                      But still, it is not working if you double click a clip from the time line. And it is not working for clip pieces on the time line.
                      When editing on the time line there is no way to organize the clip pieces. If I split a movie on the time line to 30 clip-pieces, then there is no easy way to organize it by subject or quality.
                      If I could only drag a clip (or piece) from the time line to the media bin... that would solve the problem...
                      This is a point to address in the next patch of PE7.
                      Thanks
                      • 8. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Esti Moran,

What you are seeking is Sub-Clips. I do not believe that this feature is found in any version of PE. Premiere Pro has had it for many versions, though. One thing that I must add is that in P-Pro 2, Sub-Clips will really slow a Project down. I do not know if this has been addressed in CS4.

One other way, but probably even more work, is to Export your new Clip (created, when you use the Razor/Sissors) by moving the WAB (Work Area Bar) over that new Clip and Export WAB to a discreet DV-AVI file. These can be Exported to a folder of your choice. These discreet Clips can then also be used in other programs, as they will be complete DV-AVI files.

Unfortunately, to do Sub-Clips, you would need P-Pro, which also allows one to do many Timelines (Sequences) in a single Project. You could file a Feature Request with Adobe to have it added to PE. One thing to consider, though, is that if PE starts incorporating all of the features of P-Pro, its price will rise to the level of P-Pro.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                          Ed.Macke Level 3
                          Hunt,

Another, although slightly kludgy way, would be to archive the project. That would save every clip in the project as a discreet AVI, also in the folder of your choice.

The downside is that PRE gives it stupid (to me, anyway) file names that you have no control over. Of course, you could rename them in Explorer.
                          • 10. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                            Esti Moran Level 1
                            Me again,
                            Just to close the subject:
                            Am I the only one who is missing this ability?
                            take a normal project:
                            A holiday movie in 2 dv tapes.
                            I import it to PE7 media bin in 2 big files or 100 smaller files.
                            I can use scene detect.
                            I drag all the clips to the timeline. I go there and split clips and delete pieces. I want to keep the best pieces in few folders, sorted by subject. I want to delete the not-so-good pieces but to keep them in a drawer in case I need it later. I want to group all pieces showing family friends. Simple drag and drop.
                            This is essential. Not a professional tool. just a basic need. Should be possible to do in PE7.
                            And thank you all for being so helpful and fast to respond,
                            Esti
                            • 11. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                              Ed.Macke Level 3
                              Esti,

No, you're not alone.

I think Premiere is a pretty darn good editor. But its cataloging abilities are an afterthought.

To be fair to Adobe, I think getting an editor as powerful as Premiere out the door for the price they do is a pretty admirable feat. And the inclusion of an organizer - such as it is - in Version 7 is certainly a step in the right direction, so I think they at least "get" that organization and cataloging is something people want.

On the other hand, I use Adobe's Lightroom product for cataloging and editing photos, and it is quite simply *amazing* in its capabilities, so I know what Adobe is capable of doing when properly motivated. Of course, that's a $300 product, too, so....

I'd love to be able to drag a clip on the timeline back to the Project panel or organizer and have it create a new clip or AVI (my choice, of course).

And I'd love to be able to tag a clip anywhere (project, organizer, timeline) by keyword, rate by star, and then search /filter on all of that plus date, camera model, date/time, no matter where those clips/AVIs reside. In other words, tell the Premiere development team "hey, go look at Lightroom... whatever you see there...? Add that to Premiere".

Maybe one day.

What's that they say about the best features are always in the *next* release?

Just a thought... I don't know if it would be exactly what you want, but there are other photo cataloging tools out there that, unlike Lightroom, handle video clips as well. I think some might be free, too. They won't integrate with Premiere, of course, but it might be *something* until PRE gets better?
                              • 12. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Ed,

Much of the functionality that you are looking for, with a few exceptions, is available in the Adobe Production Studio, which includes, amongs other programs, Premiere Pro and Bridge. However, that suite is many, many times the price of PE. Also, though Bridge is getting closer to LightRoom, it is still the "little brother." Better than Organizer, but behind LightRoom.

I just do not see Adobe incorporating all of the features of Premiere Pro and Bridge into PE, as their price-points would have to be far too close to differentiate them in the market place.

If the OP does much of this work, however, it might be worthwhile to take a look at P-Pro in one of the suites with Bridge. Adobe usually offers some good pricing on upgrading from their entry-level programs to their full versions. I do also see that Adobe is offering specials on PE/PSE7 bundles, so their upgrade prices might well fall too. I think we'll see more "deals," as the economy tumbles and companies look for cash flow. This is just a *guess* on my part, as I have no knowledge of what Adobe might be planning on any front.

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                                  Hunt,

Interesting! I know Bridge is part of the Photoshop line, but I didn't know they had incorporated it into Premiere. Hmm.

I rarely use Photoshop Elements (Lightroom does 99% of what I need), but doesn't it include an organizer *and* Bridge (or at least a trimmed down version of Bridge)?

If so, maybe that offers hope... if Adobe is including some version of Bridge in their value line of Photoshop, maybe they'll do the same for Premiere?

But regardless, as I said, I think Adobe does a pretty good job with its Elements line - to my mind they have about 80% of the functionality of their big brothers at about 20% of the price... a pretty good deal. And despite all of us Champagne-taste-beer-budget people, Adobe can't give us 100% of the functionality at 20% of the price!
                                  • 14. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Ed,

In PS, Bridge has been part of the package since CS, IIRC. In PS 7, it was called Browser. Bridge has grown up a bit too, according to my reading. I am still on CS2.

I can only address PrP and Bridge from the "Production Suite" standpoint, as that is what I have. That suite contained PS, AI, PrP, Encore2, AfterEffects and Bridge (which I already had, along with PS, AI from my CS2 Premium). Do not know if Bridge was included in the stand-alone PrP package, or not. Encore2 was not, though it is now only available WITH PrP CS3 & 4.

Bridge is kinda' like Lightroom-lite, with very few image processing capabilities.

I have seldom used Organizer for PrE, and never even seen the "improved" version for PSE, so cannot comment on those. The one in PSE *might* be closer to Bridge, but I do not know.

Hunt

PS, I did the beta of LightRoom, but never bought that program, as I did most of my work fine in PS and Bridge. Sounds like you are pleased with it. Maybe it's time for me to look at it again, especially as it's now of the second version, since that beta. I'll have to check to see if it's included in the CS4 Master Collection, as that will probably be my upgrade path, to get my MacroMedia programs up a level, plus PS-Extended, and my PrP suite of apps. I do not think that it is, and will need to see about getting it. Glad to hear that you like it.
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                                      Ed.Macke Level 3
                                      Hunt,

I don't just like Lightroom, I *love* it!

Of course, being the glass-half-empty kind of guy, I have my wish list for it, too. ;)
                                      • 16. Re: Premiere 7 - How to create BINS to organize clips and movie pieces? Is it possible?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Ed,

Nice recommendation. I'll have to look at the "real" version.

I also understand the "wish list." I doubt that I have any program, that could not be slightly improved for MY workflow - Adobe, or otherwise.

Thanks for the info on LR.

Hunt