2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2009 6:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Is it possible to set IN/OUT points for video effects within a single clip in PE4?

Hello,

In PE4, Is it possible to use keyframes to simply turn certain video effects on/off at different points within a single clip ?

Some effects (i.e. Invert)have a Blend With Original setting which makes this easy to achieve, but others (i.e. Ripple)do not.

I understand how to use keyframes to adjust effect properties at different points within a clip, I just can't find a way to simply 'turn-off' or bypass an effect for a period of time.

Thanks All, CB
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to set IN/OUT points for video effects within a single clip in PE4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You should be able to do this with keyframes, Chris.

I did it by creating two keyframes with all of the properties for the Ripple effect set to zero. The segment between these two keyframes had no effect applied.

Is that what you're looking for?
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to set IN/OUT points for video effects within a single clip in PE4?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Chris,

As Steve points out, most Effects are OFF, by default (usually setting their parameters to 0). I just add a Keyframe for that Effect, with those properties, where you want the Effect to be OFF (but check that each Effect that you use starts as OFF, just to be sure). Then, in between the OFF settings, I add Keyframes with the desired parameters to invoke that particular Effect.

One can also use the Razor/Sissors to cut the Clip into segments (just do not move them) to keep the Keyframes in one area of the original Clip. I usually work on the entire Clip, as once the Keyframe is set to OFF for that Effect, no more Keyframes are needed.

Some Effects also have a Bypass setting, that can be Keyframed (in P Pro, and assume in PE). This can be handy to fully turn OFF any Effect. Note: even in P Pro, not all Effects have a Bypass setting.

As usual with PE (and P-Pro and PS), there can be a couple of ways to accomplish the same thing. One can choose the method that suits them best.

Good luck,
            Hunt