7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2009 7:35 AM by John T Smith

Exported AVI size TOO BIG

I've exported a 35 min. premiere elements 4 project into an DV AVI file that says it's 7.17G in size. When I try to transfer it to my 500 G. external hard drive it says it's too large. Please help me find out why it's too large. I have 417 G open on my external drive.
        • 1. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
          Level 1
          If your external drive is formatted FAT, then the maximum allowable file size is 4GB.

The drive needs to be formated NTFS in order to use files over 4GB in size.

Back up your external before reformatting. You may lose all data on it after reformatting to NTFS.
          • 2. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
            Paul_LS Level 4
            Here is the Microsoft site that explains how to convert FAT32 to NTFS, it shouldn't impact your files on the drive, but may be worth backing them up:
            http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881
            • 3. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
              Level 1
              Thanks so much for the help. I will try that. Also I was wondering if there is anyway to make changes in the file size before exporting to DV AVI.
              • 4. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
                Ed.Macke Level 3
                Barbie,

Basically, DV-AVI is going to be about 13GB per hour. There's nothing you can do about that. So if you're exporting a 35 minute video, it's going to be about 7GB.

If want smaller files, there are several things you could do:
                * Export portions of the video at a time, e.g. (7) 5-min videos instead of (1) 35-min video
                * Save to compressed file format (WMV, MOV)
                * Archive the project (which creates a separate AVI for each clip)

I think it might help us if you could expand on what it is you're trying to do with the AVI output.

Usually when you're done with a project, you'll create a DVD or a compressed format to be viewed on YouTube or your computer, so explaining why you're exporting such a large DV-AVI might help us brainstorm some ideas for you.

Regards,
                Ed
                • 5. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Using the CONVERT program does not harm any files on the converted drive

You do, of course, need to read and follow the Microsoft instructions
                  • 6. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    As Paul & John have commented, Convert will handle the FAT-32 to NTFS well and seamlessly. It is done from the DOS Prompt, so the exact syntax of the Command Line is very important. I cannot over stress John's point on following MS's instructions enough, especially if you do not commonly work with DOS Command Line syntax. Convert does have a couple of safeguards, so you will want to make note of the exact name of your external, before you begin. Do not get in a hurry, and follow each prompt carefully.

I also suggest the BU of the data, though Convert will not touch it. It's just always a good idea for safety.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Exported AVI size TOO BIG
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      I have used convert on a working boot drive and on 2 external usb drives... no problems encountered with any of them

Once you have a DOS box open, enter

convert /?

for the complete list of commands